Yaesu FT-60R

Status
Not open for further replies.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
I picked up an FT-60R on Friday. The plan is to use the radio as a receiver only. I have a question about the priority setting. I hope someone shed a bit more light on this for me.

The software and cable did not arrive yet, so I'm programming via the keypad. From reading the manual, it seems to me the priority will not work while in scan mode. In order for the priority to work, I need to hold on a single channel, then the radio will monitor the priority channel. This seems to be the case for VFO priority, Memory Channel Priority, and Home Priority "scanning". I activated the Memory Bank feature which also seems to work the same way.

Is this correct? Is there another way to use priority while scanning through channels?

Thanks,

nd5y

Is this correct? Is there another way to use priority while scanning through channels?
I haven't used a FT-60R but I have had a FT-50R, VX-6R and FT-7800R and the priority function is the same of all of them so I assume it works the same way on the FT-60R and other late model Yaesu radios.

Priority does not work while scanning and there is no way to change it.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
The way it works is you can hold the HT on one frequency and every couple seconds it will cut out the signal and jump to your Priority channel. The FT-60R is an HT not a scanner. It can scan but not anywhere near a real dedicated radio. Nice HT you picked though!

I noticed you said you bought it to be used as a receiver only. May I suggest you get your Technician level radio license. Then, you'll be able to use it's transmitting capability as well.

i got my FT-60R few years ago its a great radio i just got 2 new batteries on Ebay for like $36 for 2 new ones think i have had mine for 5 years works great for Skywarn and i do monitor many other things.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
I noticed you said you bought it to be used as a receiver only. May I suggest you get your Technician level radio license. Then, you'll be able to use it's transmitting capability as well.

Thanks for the replies on the priority. It is a great radio. One of the reasons I'll use it for receive only, is that it receives better on my local UHF "T" band public safety system than my scanners.

I'll have to look into a tech level license, sounds interesting. It would be neat to transmit too.

Status
Not open for further replies.