Yaesu: Yaesu FT-65 Transmit Issue

KI5YMH

I have a new yaesu Ft-65r that while testing I figured out that the radio has a transmit issue. If I program a channel to one of the 4 programmable buttons and click that button to switch to that channel, I can press the PTT and the transmit light lights up and the indicator on the screen shows it is transmitting, but no other radios tuned to that frequency hear any transmission. If I then change channels with the up/down buttons away from that saved channel and back and then press the Ptt again, it works perfectly. I also checked and it has this exact same issue not using the programmable buttons by typing in the channel number with the keypad. When it first switches to that channel I have no transmit, but if I select the up or down channel button and switch back to the channel I typed in it transmits perfectly. If I turn the radio off and back on, it won’t transmit on the channel that is selected when it turns on without moving away from that channel and then back to it with the up/down keypad. If I just use the up/down buttons to select channels and don’t use the keypad to type in a channel number or the programmable keys to select a stored channel it transmits with no problem…

Anybody ever experienced something similar with these or have any ideas? (I programmed all the channels in with chirp if that might make any difference.)

KI5YMH

After some experimentation I believe this might be a chirp issue.

I reset the radio and reprogrammed using chirp with a new read/write and the issue repeated itself.

I then reset the radio again and programmed in a couple channels manually and no longer had the issue. This is what led me to think it might be a chirp issue.

I then reset the radio once again and downloaded the RT Systems software and programmed the radio from that software and it no longer has the transmit issue. I’m not saying it’s necessarily chirp’s fault, I could be messing up a setting somewhere without realizing it, but I can’t think of what setting would cause this issue.