Yaesu: Yaesu FT-65R low tx audio suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoveMoto

Just bought a FT-65R and it is a cool little radio. I also have a FT-60R and a BTECH F8-HP, my first radio. In doing field testing, other operators are telling me they prefer the audio from the BTECH/Baofeng over the FT-65, which is depressing. They say the FT-65 is acceptable but the BTECH is preferable audio quality. Are there any tips for getting better tx audio out of the FT-65 like using the companding feature (still do not totally understand this), messing with the alignment (if possible), opening the radio and removing the water-proofing over the mic or anything else? Thank you Hams!

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
I have had this problem with other Yaesu radios especially those which are weather proof or submersible. My VX-6R has this problem, but has a mic gain setting in the menu. The FT-65 does not have a that setting. The only solution is to work the mic closer than you normally would. I would not recommend removing the waterproofing over the microphone. Using a speaker mic or a headset might be another idea. The compander function would probably work best with another FT-65 using that mode. It might create odd effects with a non-compatible radio. Basically this function compresses transmitted audio which is then expanded in the other receiver. Done correctly it would lower signal to noise ratios. Not a common feature in HT's, but interesting. Also be sure you are using the WIDE mode. The NARROW mode will lower the audio level. Ham frequencies, unlike public safety, use wide deviation.

Status
Not open for further replies.