Yaesu: Yaesu FT-65R tone confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

K8eke

Noob here. I have a FT-65R. I’m struggling to understand squelch options. Yaesu’s instructions aren’t much help. Many repeaters in my area use both up uplink and downlink tones. I assume that is normal, maybe necessary near a city. I can only pick one option. Yaesu’s descriptors of T-tone and R-tone seem self explanatory. But then they have TSQL. The instructions reads, “Enables the tone squelch receive function.” There is nothing that suggests the TSQL also sends the transmit tone, unless the “T” means transmit and not tone. Clarification much appreciated. Thank you

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
On my Yaesu radios, TSQL means transmit and receive with tone squelch using the same tone.
You don't always need the repeater's Rx (output) tone to work a repeater, but you will need it's input tone. IF you don't have an Rx tone enabled, you may hear other repeaters on (or near) the frequency, or pick up intermod (interference) from other sources.

nd5y

According to the manual
R-TONE = receive only CTCSS
T-TONE = transmit only CTCSS
TSQL = transmit and receive CTCSS

k6cpo

Yaesu uses two different CTCSS names in their radios. In some models, the menu names are "TONE" and "TSQL." In others they are "ENC" and "ENC/DEC." TONE and ENC both mean the radio transmits the selected tone when keyed. TSQL and ENC/DEC means the radio also needs to hear a tone on the received signal to open the audio. Otherwise it remains silent.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Folks, be careful applying what you know about "Japanese" Yaesu radios to the "Chinese" Yaesus like the FT-65 and FT-4X. The user interface is not quite the same.

What ND5Y said above is correct. The following table appears in the Advance manual (page 9) as explanation for the settings in Menu 29 SQL TYPE:

You also have to remember that there are separate settings for the receive tone and transmit tone which are set in Menu 8 CTCSS. That's explained on the next page in the Advance manual:

Also, to the OP, you can download the Advance manual from Yaesu's website. It goes into more detail about various settings and may be useful to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.