Yaesu: Yaesu FT-70D...How Do I Connect To The World?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spankymedic7

Hi all,

I've programmed my Yaesu FT-70D with all of the analog and C4FM repeaters, and now that I've done that, how do I connect to the world? I have no idea how to connect to the various rooms, like the America room. Is there a sequence I need to do with the radio? Does this require me to program something else into the radio? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cory-
WI9EMS

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Depending on the repeaters in your area, you may be able to connect to them and steer them to whichever Wires-X room is out there, like America Link. If those repeaters local to you are not Wires-X enabled or do not have Internet access you will not be able use them to do that. Even if they are connected, the repeater owner may have them locked so that they cannot be steered away. The FT-70D manual on using Wires-X is what you should read, versus copying and pasting the manual info here.

* Please note that the FT-70D cannot connect to the Wires-X network directly, like other Yaesu Handhelds and mobile radios using a cable and computer. You need to use a repeater or another radio that can connect directly to Wires-X while using the FT-70D.

The following is from the Yaesu Wires-X manual listing the radios that can directly connect via the Internet:
The C4FM digital transceivers that support the Portable Digital Node Function are FT3D, FT2D, FTM-400XD/D and FTM-100D. (As of August 2019)

What is odd is that they do not list the discontinued FT1XDR. I'm pretty sure that radio works as well, at least it used to. I will need to try it again tomorrow. They may not list it because it is discontinued.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Your other alternative is to get a hotspot. There are many on the market. I have the DXmini. With a hotspot you need Wi-Fi and a digital radio. They're programmed with Pi-Star and can connect to any Fusion room that has a YSF bridge. The hotspot is a simplex repeater. You use your FT70 to communicate with the hotspot and the hotspot connects to the YSF room of your choice. Most hotspots can do cross mode. Thus, you could come in on YSF and go out DMR as an example.

Check out hamoperator.com for lots of Fusion information. They will list Fusion repeaters that might be near you.

As an operator of a Fusion node, I leave it open, but with a time out timer. I have blocked a few rooms that are annoying. Otherwise, everyone is welcome to connect as they wish. The time out timer keeps people from connecting and then leaving the repeater tied up.

Refer to the FT-70 manual for instructions on entering and leaving the Wires-X mode. Hotspots don't use Wires-X (normally).

fireman464

Premium Subscriber
Sorry to piggyback off this thread. I own an FT-70D as well. When I first got this radio, I was able to connect to Wires X off our local repeater without any issues. Lately, I cannot connect at all. The repeater is functioning as confirmed by two of our club members. I thought that maybe I was just not close enough and was not getting into the repeater. I took a drive to the repeater site and still wasn't able to get into the node. I can get into the repeater, but, just not on Wires X. I'm guessing that it's a settings issue, but, can't think of anything that I've changed since the last time I was able to get into the node. I've looked back over the manual and can't find anything that helps. I'm baffled, any thoughts? If it matters, I'm using the RT systems software to program the radio, but, I've using that since day one.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I would say your radio settings may not be the problem. The other parts that get that repeater onto Wires-X could be the issue.
1. HRI-200 device
2. Cable between HRI-200 & Computer
3. Computer
4. Computer connection to router
5. Router connection to Internet

* 6. Someone turned off allowing the repeater to be steered away. For example, they may have not wanted all of the traffic found on the America Link room blasting on the repeater. While that can be set to time out, they may not want it connecting to other rooms/nodes. Thus, it may be connected to the Internet and people may be able to get into it and talk with locals covered by the repeater.

What is the callsign used by the repeater, or its node number? See if it is on the Active Wires-X Node ID list. If active, see #6. WIRES-X ACTIVE NODE ID list

KA9WDX

Hi all,

I've programmed my Yaesu FT-70D with all of the analog and C4FM repeaters, and now that I've done that, how do I connect to the world? I have no idea how to connect to the various rooms, like the America room. Is there a sequence I need to do with the radio? Does this require me to program something else into the radio? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cory-
WI9EMS

Hope this helps:

Pressing F and then AMS puts you into the Wires-X mode, rotate the knob to the screen where the Asterisk (*) or star is, enter the room number and press the AMS key to connect, or rotate the knob until you get to C1 through C5, depending upon which Wires-X room that you want to connect to and that you had saved in C1 through C5, and if you want to save the room that you're connected to, press and hold down the 1 through 5 keys, to save the room number to a Wires-X memory 1 through 5, or whatever you'd call them, but I'll call them Wires-X memory channels, or memories. Cn is the room that you're connected to, En is the screen where you enter the room number of the room that you want to connect to, not sure about C0, but that may be the last room you were connected to, and Lc appears to be the repeater that you're connected to that has Wires-X and pressing and holding down the Mode key gets you out of the Wires-X mode. I'm going by memory with all of this but I think that's the way it is...but haven't looked at the manual for a while now...LOL...:D...I press down and hold the AMS button, and got into the habit of saving AMS to every memory channel, so that no matter whether the received mode is analog or digital, the FT-70D will switch to whichever mode is being received.

I don't know where you get the room numbers from but I got them from here:

https://www.yaesu.com/jp/en/wires-x/id/active_room.php

Status
Not open for further replies.