Yaesu: Yaesu FT-70DR: How to program for repeater with different input and output tones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrmj519

I am trying to reach a GMRS repeater as follows:

FrequencyTone OutTone In
462.550 MHz100.0 Hz110.9 Hz

How do I program my Yaesu FT-70DR to achieve this? I can't seem to readily find a way to specify the two different tones.

All help is appreciated! I am using the ADMS-10 software but can also use the keypad.

k6cpo

Are you trying to program that repeater to be able to transmit on it? Because if you are, it's an exercise in futility. As it comes out of the box, the FT-70 will not transmit outside of the amateur bands.

It's my understanding that there aren't many amateur radios that will allow split CTCSS tones and the FT-70 isn't one of them.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
You really only need the transmit tone or "Tone Out" as shown in your programming software to activate the repeater. The "Tone In" is just for your convenience and it might block unwanted signals from breaking the squelch in your receiver...or it might not. See if the radio can be programmed to transmit a tone, but not require one on receive.

The Yaesu FT-70 is not FCC certified for operation on GMRS. There might be a modification available for the radio to do so, but using that radio to transmit on GMRS frequencies would be a violation of FCC rules. Granted, the "radio police" are not likely to bang on your door and confiscate the radio. However, the rules are in place for good reasons.

N4KVE

Ham radios generally do not allow split PL’s, & as mentioned it’s illegal to transmit outside of the ham bands. But to answer your question, program your transmit PL to access the repeater, but set the receive to open.

hill

Premium Subscriber
AK9R good evening, but think you got that backwards and the tone in is needed, but not the repeaters output tone.

Really doesn't matter with the FT70 on transmitting on ham frequencies..

wrmj519

Hi k6cpo

I appreciate the advice I have received on this thread.

I am traveling in a remote part of Colorado and out of range of any repeater against which I can test the suggestions.

No disrespect is intended and should not be unfairly assumed from my silence, for which there’s a good reason 🙂

Thanks!

k6cpo

Hi k6cpo

I appreciate the advice I have received on this thread.

I am traveling in a remote part of Colorado and out of range of any repeater against which I can test the suggestions.

No disrespect is intended and should not be unfairly assumed from my silence, for which there’s a good reason 🙂

Thanks!

My apologies. It gets a little frustrating sometimes when this happens. Thanks for coming back.

The reality of the radio services is that if you wish to talk on GMRS, it's going to require a separate radio properly type certified for GMRS AND it's going to require an additional license. There is no examination for a GMRS license, but there is a fee (currently $70 but it will go down when the new fee structure is implemented.) The nice thing about a GMRS license is that your license will also cover members of your immediate family. This is not the case in amateur radio.

k6cpo

His screen name IS a valid GMRS license.

Hopefully he figures out what we are saying about type acceptance and using the correct radio for the job.

That's also the ONLY license he holds. There is no amateur license associated with his FRN or name and address. And no Pending Applications...

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Has the question about configuring tones been adequately answered? If so, we can lock this thread and move on.

To the OP, FCC licenses are a matter of public record. If you ask about an amateur radio but you appear to only have a GMRS license, folks are going to assume that you intend to use the radio in a manner not compliant with the FCC rules that prohibit transmitting with radios that are not FCC certified for the radio service where they are being used.

wrmj519

Hi folks,

This thread can be closed or even deleted. I lost the radio in a boating accident. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.