Yaesu: Yaesu FT-70dr repeater offset

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iforte

I have just bought my first radio. It's the ft70-dr. I'm trying to program in a local repeater and it has an offset that isn't available. The offset is 1.035 but the offset options only allow two decimal points.

This has to be user error. I can't imagine yaesu limiting this.

Thanks for any help. It's appreciated.

K4EET

Chaplain
I have just bought my first radio. It's the ft70-dr. I'm trying to program in a local repeater and it has an offset that isn't available. The offset is 1.035 but the offset options only allow two decimal points. <snip>
Hi @Iforte, generally when you have a non-standard offset like that, you simply enter the transmit and receive frequencies directly which overrides the standard offsets. That should do it for you. Let us know if that does not work.

Also, since this is your first post since joining last January, Welcome to Radio Reference!

73, Dave K4EET

K4EET

Chaplain
@Iforte, I just verified that what I said was correct. In the programming software, Yaesu FT-70D ADMS-10 EXP, I entered the Receive Frequency first. The software automatically enters the Transmit Frequency based on a standard offset. Then I simply selected the Transmit Frequency which was now incorrect and entered the correct Transmit Frequency. The Offset Frequency gets "dimmed out" and the Offset Direction is automatically set. I hope this resolves your issue.

73, Dave K4EET

techman210

If you are trying to program the repeater that I think you are, with an HT you’ll have to stand within a quarter of a mile of that repeater to overcome all the jamming on the input and actually be heard through it.

I’m being generous on the distance, it’s probably more like 300 feet.

K4EET

Chaplain
If you are trying to program the repeater that I think you are, with an HT you’ll have to stand within a quarter of a mile of that repeater to overcome all the jamming on the input and actually be heard through it.

I’m being generous on the distance, it’s probably more like 300 feet.
Hi @techman210, what are the repeater's frequencies? Just wanted to make sure that a Yaesu FT-70D can program the pair. Thanks! Dave

Iforte

Thanks! Well, the HT can definitely take those frequencies if in fact that is the pair. Now to wait for the OP to return...

Thanks @K4EET and @mrweather That seems to have fixed it. If they just allowed an extra decimal point it would be so much simpler.

Is there an icon of any kind that will tell you that the channel you are on is using a normal offset OR a "split memory" offset?

What is the best workflow for this HT?
1. Find a local repeater in repeaterbook or scan the frequencies in the area
2. Save the channel to memory
3. If it is a normal offset then that is it but if there is an odd offset you need to go through the process of setting up split memory.

Is there a more efficient way to manage the different channels? I tried to connect to CHIRP but it wouldn't even recognize the radio. I figure being able to manage the memory on the computer would be easier than memorizing that split memory routine. I did it last night and already forgot the exact steps :-/

@K4EET Thanks for the warm welcome. Finally got my license and have been trying to hit local repeaters for the past week. Glad to be here :)

KE5MC

Iforte,
You are on the right track to manage on PC and write to the radio. However, don't overlook the need to Front Panel Program (FPP) you radio from time to time. I like Repeaterbook as it has many ways to sort the information. Its available for smart phones when you travel outside your local area. It is not always accurate, but none of the sources are 100% and many assigned frequency pairs are not on the air and likely never will be. VHF & UHF have a offset convention that is usually followed, but not always. UHF is most often +5MHz, can't recall any that aren't. VHF convention is a little different across states, but again general follows + or - depending on where the transmitter's frequency is in the band. Repeaters that don't follow the convention are not common. Repeaterbook will have all the details you are looking for. I organize my memory channels by club affiliation and city. Club repeaters at the top followed by the closest city moving outward as the channel number increase.
Good Luck,
Mike

Iforte

@MTS2000des @AK9R
Yeah I think that is it. I got a few more repeaters in there and the only one with an odd split has the +- on top.

Also if you go to the offset menu option it shows the other frequency instead of the offset value. I thought that was pretty cool.

@k9wkj I really want to use software for doing bulk imports and backing up my settings. For some reason I thought I needed to buy a 50 dollar programming cable for it. I've tried using chirp but it doesn't work with that cable. It won't even recognize the radio. I should give the software a try...its free so not like there is much to lose. Thanks

K9DWB

QRT
In case you're looking for programming software, RT Systems has it for your FT-70D for $49 for the CD program and USB cable combo. Both items will be required to use this program. RT-S calls it ADMS-70, but is easily found under Yaesu FT-70D. Enjoy the hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.