yaesu ft 7900

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJRYNO

Hi all looking to pick up the dual band yaesu ft7900 just turned off by the little mic it comes with. Is there any public safety radio mics ie: motorola, kenwood ,ICOM etc that are compatible with this radio?

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.1047 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Not with out re-working/mapping the pins of the 6 conductor plug. On the Yaesu. It is NOT an 8 pin plug.

Take a look at the
TM-V71, the mic is 8 pin, and functionally will work on a kenwood commercial radio.

IMO the Kenwood is a far superior radio to the Yaesu.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I second this. I've gone through many Yaesu microphones over the years. In my opinion it's the weak spot on all their radios. I can't understand why they haven't addressed this yet.

Kenwood seems to be using the same microphone they use on some of their LMR radios on the amateur side. I owned a TM-d710 for a while and it was a very nice mic to hold, and felt much more durable than any of the previous Icom or Yaesu mics I've used.

Trying to adapt other brand microphones to the Yaesu would be a project, though. Other than the actual jack used, the wiring of the plug varies from brand to brand, and even from specific model to model. Mic bias voltages can vary. Getting the keypad to work would be a headache, too.

It would be nice if Yaesu got a clue and started offering some upgrade mic options. Then again, this vary issue is what pushed me to switching out almost all my amateur gear to commercial radios.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Yaesu mics can only be used with yaesu radio's. Everyone else uses the RJ45 jack on majority of their radios. Even vertex standard.

Motorola and Icom have common pinouts. Kenwood mics will let the magic smoke out of a Motorola but not an Icom. Icom LMR and Icom amatuer mics are backwards compatible as are the Kenwood with their LMRs.

Sent from my ME173X using Tapatalk

k6cpo

I've had four Yaesu mobiles, three of which have been FT-7900s and I've never encountered any problems with the mics. Granted, the cassic Motorola microphone is one of the nicest ever manufactured but I've got no issues with the size of the Yaesu microphone.

LtDoc

Microphone shapes! Oh lordy, is that one'a them things! It's a matter of what you get used to using and how. All microphones have 'characteristics' peculiar to the individual mic. What kind of controls are available on the thing and where are they located? If you use more than one 'style' of microphone then you had better remember how each is 'arranged', right?
I'm very familar with the old Motorola 10 pound mics, used them for years at work. Considering the work I did, one of their best features was them being able to be used for a means of beating the snot out of someone! Mace, morning star, you know?
Also know about the older Kenwood mics, PTT and an UP/DWN button and that was it. You could 'waller' that thing around a lot and it would still work fine. The more controls you add to a mic, the more limiting that mic's use is. Gotta use it a certain way or no telling what'd happen.
The only 'trick' with microphones is getting familiar with them. Sometimes, that's not as easy as it may sound...
- 'Doc
;)

stevolene

I've had four Yaesu mobiles, three of which have been FT-7900s and I've never encountered any problems with the mics. Granted, the cassic Motorola microphone is one of the nicest ever manufactured but I've got no issues with the size of the Yaesu microphone.

me neither, and now that Im getting back into ham "once again" Im going to buy another yaesu, Ive owned icom , kenwood and alinco (bear to program IMO) the last I owned was a 7800 , easy to program and great talking and receiving radio, never an issue, good price too , now Im trying to figure how to install in a mazda 6, last car I had was a crown vic, they were made for mobiles !!

Last edited:

NJRYNO

thanks for the help everyone, guess ill have to live with it. Im used to using the nice tough mics from radios at my work and this looks and feels like a toy mic. guess ill have be gentle..thanks again for the input

aaron315

Vertex Standard MH-53A8A and the correct cable will likely get you what you want.

mikemey

Premium Subscriber
me neither, and now that Im getting back into ham "once again" Im going to buy another yaesu, Ive owned icom , kenwood and alinco (bear to program IMO) the last I owned was a 7800 , easy to program and great talking and receiving radio, never an issue, good price too , now Im trying to figure how to install in a mazda 6, last car I had was a crown vic, they were made for mobiles !!

I can relate to getting a Yaesu into a small Japanese car. I have a FT-7800 that I haven't installed because I don't have the patience (or confidence of ability) to get it installed easily.

k6cpo

thanks for the help everyone, guess ill have to live with it. Im used to using the nice tough mics from radios at my work and this looks and feels like a toy mic. guess ill have be gentle..thanks again for the input

I've found the mics to be pretty durable. In the three years I've been a ham, the only mic I've had go bad was a Heil hand mic on an HF rig I borrowed. I have no idea how old the mic is, but I sent it back to Heil and it came back better than before it broke.

I can relate to getting a Yaesu into a small Japanese car. I have a FT-7800 that I haven't installed because I don't have the patience (or confidence of ability) to get it installed easily.

The FT-7800 has a removable faceplate/control head. That should make it easier to install. Put the main portion of the radio in the trunk and find a place on the dash for the control head. Just make sure it isn't in front of the airbag if the car has them, because it could become a deadly projectile in the event of a crash.

05WideGuy

Premium Subscriber
Hi all looking to pick up the dual band yaesu ft7900 just turned off by the little mic it comes with. Is there any public safety radio mics ie: motorola, kenwood ,ICOM etc that are compatible with this radio?

What turns you off with the stock mic? I have it and have no complaints.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
What turns you off with the stock mic? I have it and have no complaints.

If you've ever dealt with commercial mics, the Yaesu mics feel cheap in your hands. For as little as I use my FT-2900, it's not a big deal but I also don't like the plastic mic button on the back as opposed to everyone else in the FM radio world who uses metal buttons.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
If you've ever dealt with commercial mics, the Yaesu mics feel cheap in your hands. For as little as I use my FT-2900, it's not a big deal but I also don't like the plastic mic button on the back as opposed to everyone else in the FM radio world who uses metal buttons.

Well put. I agree 100% the Yaesu mic does feel cheap. I use my TK-760 every day at work and prefer the commercial mic to the Yaesu one. I do like to stock Kenwood V71a mic though, much better mic than the Yaesu one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mikemey

Premium Subscriber
The FT-7800 has a removable faceplate/control head. That should make it easier to install. Put the main portion of the radio in the trunk and find a place on the dash for the control head. Just make sure it isn't in front of the airbag if the car has them, because it could become a deadly projectile in the event of a crash.

The physical location of the radio isn't the issue. I've got the detachable face kit. I'm just not comfortable physically wiring the unit for power.

CommJunkie

You're not going to get over that until you give it a shot. Depending on the car, it is probably A LOT easier to install than you think. The hardest part is getting through the firewall with the wires to get power from the battery. My old car was that way but the car I have now has the battery in the trunk. SUPER easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.