Yaesu FT-7900R in a Dodge Avenger

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
This installation isn't really permanent...except for the location of the remote head. The body of the radio will probably stay under the seat, but be fastened more securely. Also want to get an NMO antenna. But for now, this set-up works and I'm happy with the performance of the 7900R while mobile (have one in my house as a base).

The main body of the radio is under the drivers seat. After this pic was taken, I did push it further under the seat so it couldn't be seen.

Right now, I have the radio wired into a power outlet inside the center console. Eventually will have it permanently wired with wires out of sight.

The remote head mounted just below the gear shifter. Tried a few different places using "foamy" two sided tape to temporarily hold the bracket in place, but this location worked the best. Easy to glance down and see and operate.

Another view of the remote head, powered down.

Extension speaker mounted on the back edge of the armrest between front seats.

Dual band mag mount antenna. (Yeah, I know, blasphemy :eek:)

:) :)

k6cpo

After my first FT-7900 was stolen out of my 1998 Dodge Dakota, I decided I was going to install the next one more securely. I mounted the radio under the driver's seat and put the control head on a gooseneck mount attached to one of the passenger seat bolts.

IMG_144-1267-G12%28%29-L.jpg

After a year or so like this, I decided I didn't like glancing down to look at the radio when driving on the Southern California freeways. I went looking for another mount and found a stick-on one that put the head up closer to my line of sight. I like this one better.

IMG_159-1769-G12%28%29-L.jpg

n1cyn

Premium Subscriber
I have my 7800r set up the same way using the floor mount that you have. I have been considering moving the head up on the dash using the loboy mount for the same reason. That dash gets very hot in the summer. Have you had any heat issues with that set up.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.