Yaesu: Yaesu FT-857D Software Compatibility with FT-857 (no D)

Status
Not open for further replies.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
A friend of mine recently purchased a used Yaesu FT-857 (not a D model), and I have an FT-857D. My question is will the "plain" 857 accept my code plug for an 857D? I know that many other manufacturers won't be compatible if it's a different model, as the "plain" 857 is a few years older than the 857D.

My code plug has just about every band with upper and lower portions along with many UHF, VHF, and 6-meter repeaters from our local area in it.

I won't even plug my computer cable into his 857 without getting a definitive compatibility assurance from the non-D 857 with my 857D.

Attachments

• Yaesu FT-857D.jpg
    Yaesu FT-857D.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 0

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
If you are talking about inputting frequencies, tones and settings have you checked RT software to see if they provide separate software for the 857 and 857D? If not suspect that could use for both as the D did not have any frequency differences just filters. Even if different and using RT software it may be possible to copy and paste. Haven't looked at program for 857 but a lot of RT software allows for exporting and importing as well.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
If I remember correctly, the difference in the 857 and 857D was the standard inclusion of the DSP filters that were an option on the 857. Also, the 875D included programming for 60m, which the 857 did not have. Other than that, I would suspect there will be no issues programming his radio with your saved settings, similarly to the 817 vs the 817nd.

KA9MGC

Premium Subscriber
For what it's worth, Yaesu sells the CT-39A cable with both versions of the 857.

That would tell me the DIN port is the same on both radio models.

Just for grins, since I have an 857D coming soon, I went to Universal Radio's site. Their page for both models shows the same cable number.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
I posted a similar question here just a few days ago, and I was informed that the software and cables worked the same for the FT-857 and FT-857D. I haven't programmed the FT-857 with my FT-857D codeplug but will report results when that occurs. I have RT Systems software and cables.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I love my FT-857D and ATAS-120A. For those who don't know, the A suffix simply means that it includes a silicon rubber seal to prevent water intrusion into the antenna when it rains!

One major caveat however, do NOT try to "auto-tune" while driving at highway speeds. The plastic gearing may well strip some teeth because of the torque place on the mechanical parts. No, I haven't done that myself as I read the instructions beforehand! :ROFLMAO:

KB6MAT

I also have used my RT systems software to program a friends 857 with the exact same information for my 857D. You will not have any problems. Besides, either it would work or it wouldn't so you would not have anything to worry about. As I stated,..IT WILL WORK.

Status
Not open for further replies.