Yaesu FT-857D SWR Meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

adza

Premium Subscriber
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can please help me with a question I have regarding the FT-857D's SWR meter.

Can anyone please tell me the level that it represents? I'm assuming no lines is 1:1, but when it shows one row of pixes, or gets up 1/2 way, is that 1.5 or 2 or 3? How far up can the SWR go before I should look at retuning my antenna?

The easiest way for me to find out would be to put an external SWR on there, and compare the two, but unfortunately I don't have one that I can try this out with, so I'm hoping for some help here. :)

Thanks & Regards

Adza

KB2RSK

Ft 857d

I have used the FT 857D for a couple of years now, and have an external SWR and WATT meter in line with it.
If the the display flashes in letters when transmitting SWR then it represent HIGH SWR,or a value of higher than 3.1

If not then I would say the high scale is showing at lease a high 3.1 and going downward to 1.1 which should show no or little bar reading on the display

This is just from my observation, some one else may interpret it differently

73's
KB2RSK

adza

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply. So can I assume that providing it doesn't flash SWR on the display that it's safe to use? I'm assuming then too that the lower the scale the better - and if I aim for it to be below 1/2 way 'up' the scale then I'm probably in a pretty good position?

Adam.

KB2RSK

857d

Yes,
The lower the scale for SWR the better.
If you can tune or trim the antenna to resonance, that would be better.
I have built dipoles to specs from ARRL, and had to trim a little off each end till I could get them to match.
Depends on the antenna set up and conditions at times to get the best SWR.
If you would like to compare singnal reports, you can set up a QSO with me and we can try different configurations.
I usually good after 3PM during the week.
73's and good luck
KB2RSk

adza

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the offer. Unfortunately I'm not sure I'd be able to hit you being so far away - only having a mobile unit, and being limited to 10w.

At present the equipment I have is the FT-857D unit, with 2 antenna's (both car antenna's) setup for UHF/VHF and 40m. The UHF/VHF is pretty much factory tuned with little to no adjustment needed. It's the 40m I'm focusing on at the moment.

I can tune the 40m antenna externally by moving the end up and down. I have it tuned around 7090 at present with no SWR bars showing, and as I change frequencies up or down, the SWR increases. I'm trying to figure out how far up or down I can go whilst driving before I need to pull over, and re-tune the antenna. (Sorry - I probably should have said this right from the beginning!)

From what I gather, provided SWR doesn't flash on the unit, I'm probably right to use that frequency.

Adam.

KB2RSK

Ft 857d

Good luck with mobile HF on 40 meters.
I have always wanted to work HF while mobile, but haven't found the right antenna and mounting to put on a KIA Sportage.
I would think your SWR would be good as long as you stay below that 1/2 way point on the bar graph.
A happy medium around 7.175 and up for SSB would be nice to have , if you can tune to it.
My problem seems to be alot of ignition noise and fule pump noise whenever I attempt to do mobile.
Todays newer cars have so much electroinics in them,they seem to create all kinds of noise on the band.

Still would like to give it a shot and see if we can connect some time. I have worked QRP stations with 5 watts mobile, on 40 meters from as far mid states .

73's hope to qso
KB2RSK

adza

Premium Subscriber
I was working the 40m last week. I was able to communicate with a gentleman from New Zealand (from Australia), and could hear a gentleman in the US - but I couldn't communicate back to the American contact. it would probably help if I could transmit at 100w instead of the 10w I'm currently restricted to. I'll have to sit my next exam soon. ;-)

Car noise can be a bit of an issue. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to work with it all. I have both positive and negative leads going direct to the battery. This has proved quite workable on 40m, although I do notice significant noise on 80m.

I'm wondering if I put some capacitors across the connection if it will help with the noise, and also potentially with voltage drop when starting the car. (Although I realise I'll need a decent diode in the mix too).

I'm very new to electronics, so I have a bit of studying to do to find the right option.

Status
Not open for further replies.