Yaesu FT-8800

Status
Not open for further replies.

Napalm

Premium Subscriber
Just a little niggle (I said niggle :p ) with scanning.

I have the two "VFO"'s set up with two seperate memory banks, both scanning at the same time. I have noticed the two interacting with each other occasionally if I happen to be on one frequency (344MHz ish).

I also notice that if it changes from AM to FM, or hits a certain memory on the "Right" side, if there's a transmission on the left, there's an audible "thump" noise. Minor problem considering it's essentially two scanners in one, albeit slow.

Anyone else use an FT-8800 for general scanning? I've been running it on mil-air recently, which it seems to do "OK" at, even if I do have to manually set AM for each channel (unless I use software). Can't really comment on overall sensitivity on mil-air, but it seems to be good enough for my purposes.

All I have to do now is work out if I can get my VR-500 programming lead to work with it - its the RT Systems lead, so I assume its just an RS232 level converter.

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
I needed that laugh (re: niggles) :)

I was looking into replacing my current VHF/UHF Motorola setup in the car with a pair of FT-8800R's due to the flexibility. I wasn't aware that they covered MilAir.

As for the "thumping", I had an FT-8100R back in the late '90s and it did the same thing when doing the dual scan thing.

Napalm

Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys :)

I bought the FTB8800 software straight away, and currently using a friend's programming lead.

Milair on the 8800 seems to vary with frequency - if I had the test gear I'd run some sensitivity tests, but so far its just based on observation. I'll test it more this coming week when the warbirds start flying again.

Status
Not open for further replies.