Yaesu: Yaesu FT- 890

Status
Not open for further replies.

r_eugene1

I recently acquired a nice Yaesu FT-890 from the estate of a SK it seems to tx ok (according to reports) but occasionally the display flashes off and on and I lose rx and tx. After powering the rig off and then back on it does OK then later on it does the same thing again.

I have checked the voltage to the radio from the power supply and it is roughly 13.7 to 14.0 volts, all equipment is grounded to a common earth ground and my inverted L end wire is also grounded. My SWR averages 1.3.1 to 1.71 on 10,12,15,17,40 and 80 meters.

Any help on the radio problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

wrath

Now is that 13.7-14 a reading well under load , such as transmitting or is that just it's static no load output, if your power supply is going bad it can drop significantly under load causing exactly what you describe.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

FKimble

Try backing off to about half power on the transmitter and see if it still does it. If it works ok on half power then your power supply is not providing enough power or you have a wiring problem.

Frank

patoch95

I recently acquired a nice Yaesu FT-890 from the estate of a SK it seems to tx ok (according to reports) but occasionally the display flashes off and on and I lose rx and tx. After powering the rig off and then back on it does OK then later on it does the same thing again.

I have checked the voltage to the radio from the power supply and it is roughly 13.7 to 14.0 volts, all equipment is grounded to a common earth ground and my inverted L end wire is also grounded. My SWR averages 1.3.1 to 1.71 on 10,12,15,17,40 and 80 meters.

Any help on the radio problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Cela ressemble a une panne que j'ai eu il y a quelques années. La frequence derive subitement , l'affichage clignote et je perd tx et rx. Pour ma part il s'agissait d'une capa a l'interieur du vco. La valeur de cette capa varie (poussiere ou oxidation des lames) et le vco decroche. Il suffit de la tourner plusieurs fois et de la remettre a sa place (prendre un repere avant de la touiller) le mieux est de la changer, mais c'est moins drole.

https://fkurz.net/ham/ft890/

It looks like a breakdown I had a few years ago. The frequency drifts suddenly, the display flashes and I lose tx and rx. For me the problem comes from a capa inside the vco. The value of this capa varies (dust or oxidation of the blades) and the vco catch. Just turn several times and put in its place (take a reference before the stirring) better to change, but it's less funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.