Yaesu: Yaesu ft 891 portable on 12v stable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd2goe

Any one run the Yaesu ft 891 on a lead acid battery for portable I have a big deep cycle But I want to know how the radio behaves when the voltage sags down to 11.5v i know a lot of the radios are more happy at 13.8 I have seen and had some radios just not like running at 12v they start acting funky ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My end game is to use a some thing from bioennopower like a 12V, 12Ah LFP Battery and switch betwen two of them.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
I have an old Icom 706MkIIG that is very finicky. My Yaesu FT-897, because it can run on internal battery power, is very tolerant of a range of voltages. I suggest you consider a battery booster. These devices will deliver 13.8 volts from as low as 9 volt supply source. I ended up using one with the 706 when I used it mobile. The other point is that running lower power when operating from a battery is good practice. MFJ makes boosters although I have not seen reviews. The better boosters will shut off when the battery gets too low.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Specification sheet data is 13.8VDC +/- 15%. That would be 11.73VDC on the minus side so just by the numbers you likely will have problems. Battery booster is good idea but a penalty of a little higher current draw from the battery to up the voltage.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
  1. When using a single battery, internal or external to the radio, I do not use more than 20 watts = More fun time
  2. As KE5MC noted, 15% +/- rating
  3. I use a 100W solar panel for long trips or contesting. I use a 50W folding panel for one or two day causal use. (Plus the controller of course) A 50W folding panel should give you at least 2A in sunlight which goes a long way and depending on use, can keep your battery topped up. The LifeP04 battery will probably need a particular controller.
I do not know how an 891 behaves with less voltage and I would not want to discover that when in the field, or not.

cmdrwill

bioennopower IS WAY overpriced. The Renogy battery IS a much better deal. Smart Lithium Iron Phosphate series.

www.renogy.com

I run a LiFe battery and they are great. 30 amps and does not drop low like lead acid and gell cell batteries do.

kd2goe

When i was running my Kenwood TS-450sAT or Alinco DX-SR8 camping on a DieHard Marine/RV Battery deep cycle only has 675CCA on it :rolleyes: and that has workd good i run it at 75~80W.
i am on a limited buagit so ill have to make the lead acid work till i can get a LiFe Battery

SA4MDN

I have the 891 in the car hooked up to a spare battery strapped down in the boot with the mfj battery booster, only use it stationary and it works well and lasts until I've had enough after a couple hours

w0kni

Any one run the Yaesu ft 891 on a lead acid battery for portable I have a big deep cycle But I want to know how the radio behaves when the voltage sags down to 11.5v i know a lot of the radios are more happy at 13.8 I have seen and had some radios just not like running at 12v they start acting funky ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My end game is to use a some thing from bioennopower like a 12V, 12Ah LFP Battery and switch betwen two of them.

FWIW - Miady is making a run for the Bioenno market. Great specs, and for the price of a 16Ah LiFe battery it's worth the risk. Good reviews on Amazon. 12V 16Ah Deep Cycle LiFePO4 Battery for $50.00, free delivery with Prime.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
LifePO4 batteries are nice and will last a long time if you keep them happy by charging/discharging at 0.2C rate or less. The more one charges/discharges over the 0.2C rate, the shorter the battery life. Also, keep that battery out of direct sunlight and warm in the winter.

A 100 Ah LifePO4 battery has 0.2C rate of 20 A. Yes, Bioenno says you can charge/discharge at a higher rate with their batteries (and I don't mean the pulse/surge) and that is not a lie. Your battery life will also be reduced when you do that. Call them and ask. I am not a battery expert. Getting three years out of your LiFeP04 battery instead of 10 may be fine. We're all different.

Running a Yaesu 891 at 100 watts can pull 23 A per Yaesu specs. If one is transmitting in sunlight using a 100W solar panel, that's going to knock off 5 A from the battery draw so blast away with 100 W while the sun is out.

Here is something to consider, my Yaesu 897D pulls 21A at 100W and only 10.9 Amps when at 50W. The signal is only down 3 dB with the lower power, but I'm saving about half the amps. This means I could get away with a LifePO4 50 Ah battery when considering the power draw. If one talks too much after the sun goes down, get the 100 Ah and turn the power down even more if you can.

* I saw that 16 Ah Miady battery the other day. I was planning on picking up a 20 Ah Bioenno, but for $45 I'll risk it and see how well it lasts with the Icom IC-705. I can use it for other low draw ( 3 A ) stuff if I don't like the results with the Icom. I have the 6 Ah Miady and I haven't had any issues with it thus far, but I don't use it to power a 100W radio. ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.