Yaesu FT1D (C4FM digital)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekshogun

It was nice to see the FT-1D but I am dissappointed that we're getting another digital spec in ham radio to figure out... or ignore.

Vertex already has a DMR radio; don't they?
If that is the case, why go through all of this trouble to make another digital spec for ham radio when they could be the first to corporately push ham radio towards that route.

I will point out that one of the staff at the booth of the hamvention handling and talking about the two functioning FT-1D's they had there did not know what P25 was. I thought that was kind of funny.

JRayfield

Vertex is 100% owned by Motorola. Yaesu has nothing to do with Vertex anymore. And the "Vertex" DMR radios are actually Motorola MOTOTRBO units with different cases on them and 'stripped down' firmware (less features than their 'similar looking' Motorola units).

John Rayfield, Jr. CETma

It was nice to see the FT-1D but I am dissappointed that we're getting another digital spec in ham radio to figure out... or ignore.

Vertex already has a DMR radio; don't they?
If that is the case, why go through all of this trouble to make another digital spec for ham radio when they could be the first to corporately push ham radio towards that route.

I will point out that one of the staff at the booth of the hamvention handling and talking about the two functioning FT-1D's they had there did not know what P25 was. I thought that was kind of funny.

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
NXDN 12.5 or 6.25

Thanks for the update Craig. My research from multiple sources indicates
NXDN can use either 12.5 khz or 6.25. So the FT1D usage of 12.5 does not
rule out at least partial NXDN compatibility.

Jean

tekshogun

Vertex is 100% owned by Motorola. Yaesu has nothing to do with Vertex anymore. And the "Vertex" DMR radios are actually Motorola MOTOTRBO units with different cases on them and 'stripped down' firmware (less features than their 'similar looking' Motorola units).

John Rayfield, Jr. CETma

You/re exactly right and I missed that about Vertex and Yaesu. I honestly thought they were still connected.
I knew about Motorola's ownership of Vertex but I thought that still included Yaesu, so I stand corrected.

So much for a corporate sponsor of DMR in ham radio.

I would still love to see how Yaesu's digital radios will turn out - just wish they had more than an HT to show off.

JRayfield

There are probably a lot of people that haven't realized that Yaesu is now 'all by themselves', so speak. In fact, they took back the original name - Yaesu Musen. I guess they wanted to concentrate on amateur radio again.

I was hoping that the portable introduced at Dayton would be a DMR radio, although the information released earlier this year indicated that it would be some kind of FDMA unit, with a TDMA unit to follow later this year. But, if it turns out to be something 'new' (as it appears to be), rather than compatible with equipment already existing and on the air, then I'll be amazed. They've got a 'ready-made' market with DMR, with the systems that are already on the air and those networks are growing pretty quickly.

John Rayfield, Jr. CETma
W0PM

You/re exactly right and I missed that about Vertex and Yaesu. I honestly thought they were still connected.
I knew about Motorola's ownership of Vertex but I thought that still included Yaesu, so I stand corrected.

So much for a corporate sponsor of DMR in ham radio.

I would still love to see how Yaesu's digital radios will turn out - just wish they had more than an HT to show off.

kv5e

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the update Craig. My research from multiple sources indicates
NXDN can use either 12.5 khz or 6.25. So the FT1D usage of 12.5 does not
rule out at least partial NXDN compatibility.

Jean

Icom and Kenwood developed the CAI for their digital radio systems, although the trunking is different the two radios can communicate in the convention mode using the digital CAI.

I would not bet any money that Yaesu has adopted a competitors' protocol.

Not Invented Here.

Craig

chankel

Premium Subscriber
Just in case Yaesu (or other company) reps are reading, I'll honestly say I'm not interested in the FT-1D or the FTM-400D unless they turn out to be APCO 25 CAI Phase I or Phase I & II and are less expensive than a used APX series VHF / UHF HT or mobile with FPP enabled.

Chris-KH2PM

Premium Subscriber
The FT-1D User's Manual is out in PDF format for viewing on the FCC website.

http://transition.fcc.gov/oet/ea/fccid/

Search for FCC ID K6620445x20

On page 80, shows TBD (To Be Determined) for the Digital Set Mode Functions. Nothing
interesting here yet.

And at the end of the manual:

DECLARATION BY MANUFACTURER
The Scanner receiver is not a digital scanner and is incapable of being converted or
modified to a digital scanner receiver by any user.

Which to me says it can't be used to monitor and decode P25 audio.

Last edited:

kv5e

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
F7W emission types includes two channels of information on a carrier

DStar is F7W

TDMA is FXE for voice or FXD for data

F7W indicates this device two streams of digital data interleaved on a single carrier.

voice/data or data/data......likely some routing as one data stream and one additional stream as either voice packets or data protocol data units.

craig

kc0kp

Battery

The radio seems to take the same batteries as the VX-8. So the size of the radio is approximately the same size.

KA2ZEY

Just wanted to add my call to the 'not interested' list. With all of the Motrbo, P25 and D Star repeaters out there, this makes absolutely no sense. Are these guys actually ham operators who use VHF/UHF repeaters?

It's too bad because I've always been a Yaesu guy.

I wonder if it's possible to make a multi mode radio?

W5TXR

Premium Subscriber
Just in case Yaesu (or other company) reps are reading, I'll honestly say I'm not interested in the FT-1D or the FTM-400D unless they turn out to be APCO 25 CAI Phase I or Phase I & II and are less expensive than a used APX series VHF / UHF HT or mobile with FPP enabled.

Agreed!
MotoTurbo ( audio) sucks! As a retired Motorola guy of 20+ years, I'm very disapointed that they would even bring this to the table!
I like P25 (As far as digital goes) I will not buy any digital radio unless it's P25.....Period!

N4KVE

Agreed!
MotoTurbo ( audio) sucks! As a retired Motorola guy of 20+ years, I'm very disapointed that they would even bring this to the table!
I like P25 (As far as digital goes) I will not buy any digital radio unless it's P25.....Period!
Funny, for a couple of years I had the exact same attitude. I own several Astro Sabers, XT3000's, & a XTS5000, on UHF, & VHF. As my friends were linking a good portion of Florida with a Trbo systen, I stood fast that for me it was P25, or nothing. So I programmed in some P25 repeaters, & listened for months. Nothing. I was able to bring up the repeaters, but in a year, I have never heard a conversation. A good friend even set up a P25 repeater in Ft. Lauderdale. When ever I get down there, I call him. Only one time was anybody listening. He too has a Trbo radio now. I finally gave in, bought a Trbo radio, & use it every day to speak to my friends.

Last edited:

kv5e

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
Pricing Out

Street price is $549.95 at AES and HRO......guess the launch is coming at Dayton.

Let's hope that someone at the Yaesu booth has a clue by four this time.

Craig

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Definitely not on my list of needs or wants...

n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.