Yaesu FT1D (C4FM digital)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRayfield

I hope that it's flash upgradeable to DMR. If it is, then it's definitely on my wish list. If it's just a proprietary digital mode that Yaesu developed, then forget it.

John Rayfield, Jr.

Definitely not on my list of needs or wants...

n9zas

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

B

BD7PA

YAESU FT1D in hand , update preview to my blog: BD7PA ^___^

Attachments

• YAESU-FT1D-BD7PA-?????-700px-1884.jpg
    YAESU-FT1D-BD7PA-?????-700px-1884.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 3,825

JRayfield

Beautiful photo. What brand/model camera and what lens did you use to get this shot? Do you shoot professionally?

John - W0PM

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk HD

beischel

If it were DStar capable, I'd buy it in a minute.

The lady manning the radio display at Dayton said they have no repeater equipment for it yet!

My buddy said well then who do you talk to? She said direct radio-to-radio. Useless.

Hardly anyone looking at it at Dayton. The entire Yaesu booth was very dead this year. The hat give-away in the past really packed them in, but with mouse pads as the give-away, not much interest.

Yaesu's jump into digital is a disaster. Big splash two years ago with a marketing brochure, then no delivery. It's the WIRES thing all over again.

They need to get their head out of their rear-end and go with DStar, but not sure they will admit they were wrong all along. Going with a commercial standard like DMR would also be a mistake and again, they would have to admit they were wrong.

Yaesu is in a pretty precarious situation when it comes to digital.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
beischel said:
If it were DStar capable, I'd buy it in a minute.
Lack of DStar aside...what other features of this radio would compel you buy it? Just curious...

N4KVE

If it were DMR, & capable of being used on DMR-MARC, I'd but it in a minute, & so would my friends. But no one seems to know what it is.

beischel

Lack of DStar aside...what other features of this radio would compel you buy it? Just curious...

Well without DStar it is just another FM transceiver with GPS. So there is nothing else that says "buy me."

Not a big fan of DMR because it lacks flexibility that DStar offers and TDMA has issues when it comes to distance. It's also a commercial suited for that market and not the ham market so it's like fitting a square peg into a round hole.

Can't wait to see what Kenwood does. I hear their president is not a fan of DMR or DStar so will they go with NXDN then?

These manufacturers with their own bias have really screwed up the market and slowed digital implementation and acceptance.

For now though, I am very happy with DStar given the huge repeater and networking infrastructure in place and still growing rapidly.

mancow

Database Admin
These people are bizarre. A year in and no published specs or repeater equipment. Apparently profit is not their motivation but I can't figure out what else is.

If they would build a submersible FT817D into a hand held the size of a Bendix King with DMR they couldn't keep them on the shelf. I would easily drop $1500 on something like that.

Sindoris

I may buy two. One for the wife and one for me. If no-one is going to use them, then we could have our own semi-private frequency to talk on. :). I've been looking at APRS, and having it with digital will be nice. I tried to get into D-Star, but I've been waiting 6 months for the repeater operators to accept my invite. Until then I don't see getting a Radio. I'm a bit turned off by the approval process. I may still buy one D-Star HT for use when we are doing ARES stuff. If this Yaesu had bluetooth, I would be more excited. Well, the wife would, since she hates having all the mic/headset wires around when we are volunteering at events.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Doesn't semi private fly against the grain for ham radio where there are to be no codes, hidden coversations etc.. But that is what we get with Digital comms. when there is no single one form of digital. I think all these different digital voices are just confounding the meaning of communications within the ham band. Or creating noise on frequencies that one listens for FM comms. with. At least with SSB, AM, most keep to a few frequencies that are "generally" not used by FM voice. Even with public services, in the day when interop. comms. is the big new buzz word, we have a multitude of different digital types. Makes money for the radio companies I guess, while taking it out of the pockets of hams and scanner listeners.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Doesn't semi private fly against the grain for ham radio where there are to be no codes, hidden coversations etc.. But that is what we get with Digital comms. when there is no single one form of digital. I think all these different digital voices are just confounding the meaning of communications within the ham band. Or creating noise on frequencies that one listens for FM comms. with. At least with SSB, AM, most keep to a few frequencies that are "generally" not used by FM voice. Even with public services, in the day when interop. comms. is the big new buzz word, we have a multitude of different digital types. Makes money for the radio companies I guess, while taking it out of the pockets of hams and scanner listeners.

Not really. You don't have to go out and buy digital radios to experience closed cliquish attitudes. Many analog radios will introduce you to that feature, modes can range anything from CW, SSB, PSK31, FM and even some are using wideband AM.

Yaesu USA is once again a standalone company, and no longer a part of Vertex-Standard, so they can spend their R&D budget on toy radios like the FT-1D. Without infrastructure available, ANY digital radio is just an overpriced glorified analog radio.

W9JY

Premium Subscriber
These people are bizarre. A year in and no published specs or repeater equipment. Apparently profit is not their motivation but I can't figure out what else is.

If they would build a submersible FT817D into a hand held the size of a Bendix King with DMR they couldn't keep them on the shelf. I would easily drop $1500 on something like that.

If they built an FT817D in an HT format I'd buy one in a heartbeat. I'm already eying something like this.

Hamvention: Tokyo Hy-Power’s XT-751 5W HF HT | Q R P e r

Not to replace my existing portable rig but I just think it would be fun as hell for casual use.

Sindoris

I got the APRS info from a brochure that HamRadio Outlet linked to on their page:

http://www.hamradio.com/documents/FT1DR_FT1DE_Brochure.pdf

As far as being semi-private. I was taking a bit at humor. I don't mind who listens to us talking and enjoy it when we get more people chatting. However, you do get some yahoo's that feel a woman belongs in the kitchen and I would rather not have them mocking my wife. But I digress.

JRayfield

While there are limitations to the range of a signal that is using TDMA, I've never seen or heard of this being an issue with MOTOTRBO in a 'typical' environment. I would really like to visit with someone, who has a good technical or engineering background/knowledge, who has experienced this specifically with MOTOTRBO.

A good part of the 'lack' of flexibility with DMR, versus DStar, is more in the infrastructure than in the technology or even the radios. Some of this 'lack of flexibility', with regards to amateur radio use (and even commercial use, in some cases), has already been reduced by use of the c-Bridge Controllers on MOTOTRBO networks. As the software in the c-Bridge Controllers is 'enhanced' further, flexibility of DMR for amateur radio will increase even more.

John Rayfield, Jr. CETma
W0PM

Well without DStar it is just another FM transceiver with GPS. So there is nothing else that says "buy me."

Not a big fan of DMR because it lacks flexibility that DStar offers and TDMA has issues when it comes to distance. It's also a commercial suited for that market and not the ham market so it's like fitting a square peg into a round hole.

Can't wait to see what Kenwood does. I hear their president is not a fan of DMR or DStar so will they go with NXDN then?

These manufacturers with their own bias have really screwed up the market and slowed digital implementation and acceptance.

For now though, I am very happy with DStar given the huge repeater and networking infrastructure in place and still growing rapidly.

mancow

Database Admin
While there are limitations to the range of a signal that is using TDMA, I've never seen or heard of this being an issue with MOTOTRBO in a 'typical' environment. I would really like to visit with someone, who has a good technical or engineering background/knowledge, who has experienced this specifically with MOTOTRBO.

A good part of the 'lack' of flexibility with DMR, versus DStar, is more in the infrastructure than in the technology or even the radios. Some of this 'lack of flexibility', with regards to amateur radio use (and even commercial use, in some cases), has already been reduced by use of the c-Bridge Controllers on MOTOTRBO networks. As the software in the c-Bridge Controllers is 'enhanced' further, flexibility of DMR for amateur radio will increase even more.

John Rayfield, Jr. CETma
W0PM

I'm getting excellent range out of my Hytera PD782G. It's every bit as much as analog.

Status
Not open for further replies.