Yaesu FT1D (C4FM digital)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
The only possible problem with TDMA is the timing advance when a user gets far from the repeater. As far as I know, this has been taken into account in the DMR spec and the user will run out of rf range long before encountering this problem.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 6_1_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B329 Safari/8536.25)

Ok, this will probably get moved to the rants forum but what ever.

So FINALLY we get a radio that has more than 6 character alpha tagging capability, BUT those idiots at Yaesu decide that having 24 zones with 100 memories per zone is they way to go...

Why can they not get their sh*t together??????????????????? I will not even get into their bastardization of C4FM, and that there is not even a mobile or repeater available.

Final grade? F- failure from the word go. Yaesu calls it 'The Dawn of a New Digital Communications Era in Amateur Radio.' As far as I am concerned, it is 2 o'clock in the afternoon, and Yaesu is just getting out of bed

Last edited:
B

BD7PA

Beautiful photo. What brand/model camera and what lens did you use to get this shot? Do you shoot professionally?

John - W0PM

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk HD

Use Nikon D2X + 60mm to capture, not professional. ^_^

B

BD7PA

YAESU C4FM has its own direction of development, digital voice service, still image transmission, location and personal information services. Later there WiRES-X VoIP digital gateways, mobile radio FTM-400D offer, these are set up the necessary infrastructure C4FM digital gateway hardware, repeater services will be one of the digital gateway functionality.

Future, with the agreement of the White Paper C4FM public (in YAESU website), there will be more functional Internet service has been developed and updated, for example: Based on the above C4FM digital gateway automatically shoot and send photos FT1D update to the network electronic album. The above information, BD7PA through Google Translate, there is an error, please forgive me.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
"Yaesu does it again!"

oh great, another overpriced Dick Tracy shirt pocket HT with lame audio, tiny buttons...oh great, it does some non-standard DV format like those great Alinco radios that showed up on the market circa 2000, and how well did THAT format take off?

Another loser from "The Radio".

Now back to the joy of a FOR REAL digital voice QSO on a FOR REAL digital radio, XPR-7550 baby!

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
YAESU C4FM has its own direction of development, digital voice service, still image transmission, location and personal information services..

Great, so more infrastructure that costs tens of thousands, isn't based on any known industry standard format (you know, like DMR, P25, or even...dare I say..D-star) for what?

It's a bad joke Yaesu. Sorry, won't be in my shack or on my belt anytime soon.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
BTW, there were two thread about this radio in two different forums. The separate threads have been merged.

Olsonist

I do not see Yaesu supporting either P25 or DMR with this radio. Full P25 has encryption which can't be used on the ham bands; yeah, I suppose they could omit that and be non-standard. But more importantly, P25 or DMR both would encroach on their professional level $1000 VXD-720. Gresham's Law all over again.

Yes, Yaesu should support D-STAR. If they can't match P25 or DMR for solid marketing reasons, they should admit reality and give their customers what they want, compatibility with an existing workhorse standard. We like to talk to each other. Is C4FM marginally better than GMSK? Yeah it is, but GMSK is infinitely better than nothing.

At $530, I wouldn't buy this radio for C4FM. But I still might buy this radio. The question is whether that 12.5 khz is available available to the soundcard TNC. Then the FT-1DR goes from a clunker to a weirdly inspired SDR. If that were the case, you could support D-STAR or P25 or whatever, albeit with a laptop.

Bluntly, I need a reason to buy this radio and it ain't C4FM.

N8OHU

I do not see Yaesu supporting either P25 or DMR with this radio. Full P25 has encryption which can't be used on the ham bands; yeah, I suppose they could omit that and be non-standard. But more importantly, P25 or DMR both would encroach on their professional level $1000 VXD-720. Gresham's Law all over again.

Yes, Yaesu should support D-STAR. If they can't match P25 or DMR for solid marketing reasons, they should admit reality and give their customers what they want, compatibility with an existing workhorse standard. We like to talk to each other. Is C4FM marginally better than GMSK? Yeah it is, but GMSK is infinitely better than nothing.

At $530, I wouldn't buy this radio for C4FM. But I still might buy this radio. The question is whether that 12.5 khz is available available to the soundcard TNC. Then the FT-1DR goes from a clunker to a weirdly inspired SDR. If that were the case, you could support D-STAR or P25 or whatever, albeit with a laptop.

Bluntly, I need a reason to buy this radio and it ain't C4FM.

Yaesu Musen =/= Vertex Standard so that's not it; besides, if you read their white paper it gives the impression that this and the mobile are the first wave of Yaesu's "Digital Revolution" DMR is supposedly in the second wave. Of course, if this radio flops and Icom starts working with other manufacturers on getting them to support D-Star, this may change and they will admit the logic of supporting D-Star.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Yaesu Musen =/= Vertex Standard so that's not it; besides, if you read their white paper it gives the impression that this and the mobile are the first wave of Yaesu's "Digital Revolution" DMR is supposedly in the second wave. Of course, if this radio flops and Icom starts working with other manufacturers on getting them to support D-Star, this may change and they will admit the logic of supporting D-Star.

If the FT-1D is any indication their TDMA radio will be yet another obscure "standard" that nobody makes either subscriber or infrastructure for. I'm not holding my breath for it to come out. But just maybe they have noticed the displeasure at the FT-1D maybe they will FINALLY LISTEN TO THE WISHES OF THEIR CUSTOMERS, before they all jump ship to other manufacturers.

Sent from an unknown place...

AA9VI

If the FT-1D is any indication their TDMA radio will be yet another obscure "standard" that nobody makes either subscriber or infrastructure for. I'm not holding my breath for it to come out. But just maybe they have noticed the displeasure at the FT-1D maybe they will FINALLY LISTEN TO THE WISHES OF THEIR CUSTOMERS, before they all jump ship to other manufacturers.

I spoke to one of their reps at the Dayton 2013 booth. She actually seemed quite knowledgeable unlike many of the sales reps usually there. I asked her point blank if the new TDMA radio will be DMR compatible and the answer was "no." Not surprising given Yaesu's complete lack of market research before designing the F-Bomb (FDMA radio incompatible with everything else.) Why not design a T-Bomb too? That's exactly what they are doing. They understand C4FM is more robust than GMSK, especially in a multipath environment, but they are not looking at existing infrastructure and technologies out there and how to make a cheaper DMR radio. Very foolish given a 15 year old can figure this out.

Instead, we are going to see a bunch of Chinese no-name brands come into play making DMR radios that hams will be buying. It's all lost revenue for Yaesu. I am frankly surprised that they are this blind to reality. I know some very genuine and smart people have spoke to people at the highest levels of Yaesu more than 3 years ago about this, but "they know better."

Yeah.. They know how to lose money better. Wires, the F-Bomb, the T-Bomb... Fundamentally foolish ventures.

Last edited:

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I spoke to one of their reps at the Dayton 2013 booth... I asked her point blank if the new TDMA radio will be DMR compatible and the answer was "no." Not surprising given Yaesu's complete lack of market research before designing the F-Bomb (FDMA radio incompatible with everything else.)...Why not design a T-Bomb too? That's exactly what they are doing. Very foolish given a 15 year old can figure this out... I know some very genuine and smart people have spoke to people at the highest levels of Yaesu more than 3 years ago about this, but "they know better."

Yeah.. They know how to lose money better. Wires, the F-Bomb, the T-Bomb... Fundamentally foolish ventures.

Yea, not surprised. One of the big reasons I am moving away from buying Yaesu products... Why support a company so bent on not listening. Hello Kenwood, at least they listen to their customers.

W9JY

Premium Subscriber
I spoke to one of their reps at the Dayton 2013 booth. She actually seemed quite knowledgeable unlike many of the sales reps usually there. I asked her point blank if the new TDMA radio will be DMR compatible and the answer was "no." Not surprising given Yaesu's complete lack of market research before designing the F-Bomb (FDMA radio incompatible with everything else.) Why not design a T-Bomb too? That's exactly what they are doing. They understand C4FM is more robust than GMSK, especially in a multipath environment, but they are not looking at existing infrastructure and technologies out there and how to make a cheaper DMR radio. Very foolish given a 15 year old can figure this out.

Instead, we are going to see a bunch of Chinese no-name brands come into play making DMR radios that hams will be buying. It's all lost revenue for Yaesu. I am frankly surprised that they are this blind to reality. I know some very genuine and smart people have spoke to people at the highest levels of Yaesu more than 3 years ago about this, but "they know better."

i bet it has to do with internal politics within their company. i'm sure the engineers would love to design a radio that could do P25 or DMR but the marketing people are like P25 is for high end public safety radios... DMR is for commercial users... etc. they probably won't let the amateur radio designers build one even if they want to.

MarkWestin

I'm sure that Yaesu and the other Amateur Radio companies could easily build P25 and or DRM compatible radios but probably never will because of the problem that such a radio could (read that would) be modified and used on public safety frequencies by well meaning people who are not licensed Amateur Radio Operators. Look at the number of threads just on this site asking how to modify analog amateur equipment so it can be used "Out of Band" and "Just in an Emergency" and you can see the sort of problems that the Amateur Radio companies are trying to avoid.

Mark

AA9VI

Yea, not surprised. One of the big reasons I am moving away from buying Yaesu products... Why support a company so bent on not listening. Hello Kenwood, at least they listen to their customers.

Let's give Kenwood credit. At least they are pivoting from their NEXEDGE to DMR. NEXEDGE was a good performer but Kenwood did not get a standards group together fast enough to push the standard. DMR did and has been more successful with more partners. Kenwood will probably still continue to support NEXEDGE but they understand DMR has a greater upside.

Yaesu does not have a growth strategy. It will doom them. Hams won't continually sink their money into their boring analog gear when they can get a Wauxom or whatever it is called for half the price. The only thing Yaesu is doing right is their latest HF rig and the APRS stuff into some of their portables and mobiles. Digially, and for the future, they are on the decline unless their strategy changes from making incompatible stuff that people are not attracted to. Specifically the F-Bomb and T-Bomb radios.

Last edited:

Chris-KH2PM

Premium Subscriber

Wow, you've been seriously misinformed.

Vertex VXD-720 UHF Digital Radios - TwoWayDirect.com

My VXD-720 texts just fine with my XPR7550.

Status
Not open for further replies.