Yaesu FT1DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

I am sure the media was just so intent with listening to the very important and communications that were taking place on the up to 5 times a year that your group is utilized according to you. If you wanted to let everyone know that you are using the System Fusion, that is alright, but when you start discussing how it will be a form of keeping people from listening to your groups critical and important communications you start losing your audience. As previously stated the "Whacker" mentally begins to set in on many of the members, based even on your groups pictures the majority of the group looks over weight and drives around on golf carts. I am not seeing anything critical here.

S

SARCommCoord

I am sure the media was just so intent with listening to the very important and communications that were taking place on the up to 5 times a year that your group is utilized according to you. If you wanted to let everyone know that you are using the System Fusion, that is alright, but when you start discussing how it will be a form of keeping people from listening to your groups critical and important communications you start losing your audience. As previously stated the "Whacker" mentally begins to set in on many of the members, based even on your groups pictures the majority of the group looks over weight and drives around on golf carts. I am not seeing anything critical here.

Stephen you probably had the most respectful post all day. Minus the last part. While I am not a spokes person for our team, In my opinion and based on information I have, in order to maintain compliant with HIPAA, it is best to have a less monitored type of communication. Our team does not ride around in golf carts however, and almost all are Public Safety professionals and also K9 handlers in spare time.

hitechRadio

ERICEMT i see you have met the "professionals" on here. LOL They are always waiting for there moment to pounce. If you notice they kinda run in groups.

Anyway,,, the FT1DR will do APRS and digital at the same time. VFO B APRS and VFO A Run digital comms.
You can also send GPS location (not APRS) via digital to other system fusion radio's but only in the DN mode not VW mode.

You may also find the GM mode very useful for your application. It is kinda like yeasu's ARTS function but for digital.

You can download the GM and APRS suppliment manuals from yaesu's web site.

System fusion sounds sooooo much better than D-Star could ever dream of sounding.

Now watch them pounce on me ERICEMT,,LOL

S

SARCommCoord

ERICEMT i see you have met the "professionals" on here. LOL They are always waiting for there moment to pounce. If you notice they kinda run in groups.

Anyway,,, the FT1DR will do APRS and digital at the same time. VFO B APRS and VFO A Run digital comms.
You can also send GPS location (not APRS) via digital to other system fusion radio's but only in the DN mode not VW mode.

You may also find the GM mode very useful for your application. It is kinda like yeasu's ARTS function but for digital.

You can download the GM and APRS suppliment manuals from yaesu's web site.

System fusion sounds sooooo much better than D-Star could ever dream of sounding.

Now watch them pounce on me ERICEMT,,LOL

Thank you for your post. Tracking is one of the big reasons why we selected this radio, as well as the system itself and the privacy it sort of offers. I love being called a wacker. My full time professional job is in EMS (field EMT as well as an Advanced Emergency Medical Dispatcher) been doing that for 6 years. (Im 24). My Major in college is Emergency Management/Fire Sciences. But besides the point, they show the common signs of cyber bullies. They rely on others to fuel their fire but when you call them out individually they back down. Its sad when grown adults have nothing better to do than to bash others. And even though my post doesnt reflect my teams views in any way, I have to defend myself and the teams image because of cyber bullies

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
HIPAA does not apply unless you give the personal information such as name stop trying to use that excuse.

S

SARCommCoord

HIPAA does not apply unless you give the personal information such as name stop trying to use that excuse.

Oh, my bad. Im sorry that you dont like my response. My apologies. I will do my best to say something more appeasing next time

S

SARCommCoord

I will end this post with this.

The whole point of this was to review our new radios. I never intended for this to blow up. As I have stated before (even though I shouldnt have to) I am in no way speaking on behalf of my team ( this is my personal account anyways) and my opinion and speech is my own. I stand behind the radios our board decided to buy, and I appreciate the numerous PM's i received in support of the teams decision. I am sorry that their are those that do not like this decision. I should not have to defend myself on an online forum, but others have nothing better to do that cyber bully. I appreciate everyone who has been helpful.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I would like to know how you like the System Fusion's audio performance, I have heard many users say there is an annoying burst of undecoded C4FM that comes screeching through.

As far as the haters, there seems to be a large portion of the ham community that feel threatened whenever anyone doesn't use the ham bands strictly for HF and calling "CQ" to their buddies on 20m.

Amateur radio is a great resource and so long as it doesn't replace, but augment, regular part 90 services, I don't know what the hatred is for. With the dead silence on VHF/UHF in my little town of 3 million or so people and thousands of licensed hams, I could care less if CERT or other folks who also are duly licensed hams are using ham radio for their non-commercial use. It might actually blow the dust off the stagnant repeaters. Though many of the the crusty old farts will get annoyed because someone else is in their "playpen". Supporting community service is one of the pillars of why we have access to the plethora of radio spectrum, not the only pillar, but one of the main ones, and certainly justifies our existence.

And for those of you accusing the O/P of being a whacker, I don't know him, but someone who is a LICENSED EMT and working for one of the largest private EMS providers hardly qualifies in my mind as the guy with red lights in his car and "TEH POLICE" front license plates.

A whacker is not what one is, but one wants others to think they are. I have not seen anything that indicates the OP or his group is anything but exactly what they are, a group of trained, vetted and professional volunteers.

So lay off them. Have you ever thought maybe they don't have daddy's credit card to go buy those APX7000's and have to get what works and is suitable for their purpose? Jesus some of you people are really full of yourselves.

I applaud you for wanting to SHARE your experiences and discuss the technology of a technical nature. Why some of my fellow hams don't is pretty clear, they feel scared someone actually wants to play ball on their precious playground rather than just sit on the sidelines and whine all the time.

S

SARCommCoord

I would like to know how you like the System Fusion's audio performance, I have heard many users say there is an annoying burst of undecoded C4FM that comes screeching through.

As far as the haters, there seems to be a large portion of the ham community that feel threatened whenever anyone doesn't use the ham bands strictly for HF and calling "CQ" to their buddies on 20m.

Amateur radio is a great resource and so long as it doesn't replace, but augment, regular part 90 services, I don't know what the hatred is for. With the dead silence on VHF/UHF in my little town of 3 million or so people and thousands of licensed hams, I could care less if CERT or other folks who also are duly licensed hams are using ham radio for their non-commercial use. It might actually blow the dust off the stagnant repeaters. Though many of the the crusty old farts will get annoyed because someone else is in their "playpen". Supporting community service is one of the pillars of why we have access to the plethora of radio spectrum, not the only pillar, but one of the main ones, and certainly justifies our existence.

And for those of you accusing the O/P of being a whacker, I don't know him, but someone who is a LICENSED EMT and working for one of the largest private EMS providers hardly qualifies in my mind as the guy with red lights in his car and "TEH POLICE" front license plates.

A whacker is not what one is, but one wants others to think they are. I have not seen anything that indicates the OP or his group is anything but exactly what they are, a group of trained, vetted and professional volunteers.

So lay off them. Have you ever thought maybe they don't have daddy's credit card to go buy those APX7000's and have to get what works and is suitable for their purpose? Jesus some of you people are really full of yourselves.

I applaud you for wanting to SHARE your experiences and discuss the technology of a technical nature. Why some of my fellow hams don't is pretty clear, they feel scared someone actually wants to play ball on their precious playground rather than just sit on the sidelines and whine all the time.

I appreciate your reply. Our trials with the FT1DR in digital simplex has been excellent. No major complaints. When we get the fusion system I will definitely update you. From my experience it seems that people tend to bash and criticize what they know little about. The fact that I am 24, have worked EMS for 6 years, and am currently an EMT and ADVANCED Emergency Medical Dispatcher tends to upset some people. While I have not worked for a county, I have worked for the largest private EMS/Fire company in the nation. (And once again my views are not tied to them). This doesnt make me a wacker at all. As you stated, a wacker is someone who is something they arent.

Heterodyne

Premium Subscriber
Since this thread has gotten so out of hand from what I started with, I am requesting this thread to be closed. Its unbelievable the attitudes and behavior of people on here. Almost 300 views and 3 people posted with noting nice to say

I apologize that you didn't get the heaps of praise that you were expecting.

Welcome to .. well... the world.

S

SARCommCoord

I apologize that you didn't get the heaps of praise that you were expecting.

Welcome to .. well... the world.

I got plenty of praise. Multiple people PM'ed me with how awesome they thought the idea was and for putting up with the nonsense on this forum. But I wasnt looking for praise.

slimbob

We are a volunteer 501(c)3 Corporation, no one is paid,and therefore not an "employee". Since SAR comms is not on a "regular" basis, and only occurs on average 5 times a year, we are not bound by the provisions in 97.113a(5). Our communications are well within the auspices of what amateur radio is intended for, support of government agencies during an emergency or disaster.

There is no LAW as Part 97 is not a law enacted by the Supreme Court, it is a RULE.
ARES is a volunteer public safety org. with "Command Staff (being NIMS ICS). Therefore based on your logic, Command staff of your local ARES group would be employees also and in violation of the rule.Also, amateur radio operators who use the local ARES repeater to talk and rag chew would also be in violation of Part 97 as this type of communication can be accomplished based on other means. (i.e email or phone)

I shall research this. It is relevant to my interests. I will accept an FCC Rule; an FCC rule is a section of code published under Title 47 of the United States Code.

N4KVE

I think some people are just upset that Yaesu chose an unknown digital format that can only communicate with other Yaesu radios. Many people were hoping they would make Trbo radios, especially since the Vertex commercial division has already done so.

hitechRadio

I think some people are just upset that Yaesu chose an unknown digital format that can only communicate with other Yaesu radios. Many people were hoping they would make Trbo radios, especially since the Vertex commercial division has already done so.

Yaesu since 2012 is no longer associated with Motorola or its subsidiary Vertex. Although I do believe Yaesu learned a few things from Motorola as far as digital. Infact they.....never mind...LOL

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Since this thread has gotten so out of hand from what I started with, I am requesting this thread to be closed. Its unbelievable the attitudes and behavior of people on here. Almost 300 views and 3 people posted with noting nice to say

It hasn't gotten out of hand. You just don't agree with the obvious comments that have been provided by the majority so far.

If in fact you are a 501c3 you could of applied for and received a Part 90 license in any band and purchased a DMR system that have already have a very competitive price points and has the capabilities that you are looking for from multiple sources. You could of assembled a bid and send it out to numerous suppliers stating exactly that you are looking for. Right now you have a single source supplier that uses a proprietary format that could tomorrow decide not to manufacture it, without any warning at all, and then you would be stuck with useless equipment that could no longer expanded.

I won't comment on the possibility of FCC violations as others have done a very good job so far.

Last edited:

hitechRadio

I have a little input...

I have never heard the burst of undecoded C4FM unintentionally. But if you set the B VFO on the same frequency (which only does FM) as A VFO you will hear DATA for a split second just before the B VFO mutes and Digital audio comes thru the A VFO.

The audio of System fusion is pretty good. Sounds even better with external speaker for mobile and speaker mic on portable.

Overall system fusion is about as close as you can get to commercial performance as far as air interface. Defenitly better in fringe areas than D-Star. But it is not up to par yet compared to D-Star as far networking repeaters. But I am told there are some things in the works so to speak on networking end of it.

Yaesu still has a way to go with the product, though. Luckily most of the added features and/or problems can be updated with simple firmware updates.

Rant: Why do Amateur radio manufactures insist that most portables and mobiles be as small as possible, thus leading to punny speakers, I will never know. LOL off Rant.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Oh, my bad. Im sorry that you dont like my response. My apologies. I will do my best to say something more appeasing next time

Your facts are incorrect and you might want to do a little research next time.

http://www.911dispatch.com/info/hipaa_position.pdf

Myth No. 3: Dispatch centers must convert all communications equipment to digital or
institute new privacy technologies so that people with scanners can no longer hear radio
dispatches.
Fact: HIPAA does not prohibit dispatch centers from communicating with ambulance services, which is necessary for response and patient treatment, even though everyone in "scannerland" can listen in! These are called "incidental disclosures" under HIPAA, meaning they are legitimate disclosures with unavoidable side-effects, and are permissible under HIPAA.

More on HIPAA: An Overview of the Privacy Standard and Medical Control Radio Transmission

For example, the Privacy Rule does not require the following types of structural or systems changes:
•Private rooms.
• Soundproofing of rooms.
•Encryption of wireless or other emergency medical radio communications which can be intercepted by scanners.
•Encryption of telephone systems. Covered entities must provide reasonable safeguards to avoid prohibited disclosures.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
It hasn't gotten out of hand. You just don't agree with the obvious comments that have been provided by the majority so far.

If in fact you are a 501c3 you could of applied for and received a Part 90 license in any band and purchased a DMR system that have already have a very competitive price points and has the capabilities that you are looking for from multiple sources. You could of assembled a bid and send it out to numerous suppliers stating exactly that you are looking for. Right now you have a single source supplier that uses a proprietary format that could tomorrow decide not to manufacture it, without any warning at all, and then you would be stuck with useless equipment that could no longer expand.

I won't comment on the possibility of FCC violations as others have done a very good job so far.

So....are these people violating part 97 KS4VT? They are in your county, and their repeater is...wait for it...on a PBC public safety tower! OMG! Better get those handcuffs out Mark!
AREC Repeater Group, Inc.

Maybe you should tell them they should not use ham radio and apply for talkgroups on your 800MHz TRS.

Or send Laura a note about their use of their system for public service events.

By the way, if your county does not benefit from your repeaters on their sites, how does it serve the public, specifically the citizens of Palm Beach county, FL, to have some privately owned equipment on government property?

After all, if someone wants to do public service work or backup communications, by your logic, they should ONLY be on part 90.

Last edited:

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I have a little input...

I have never heard the burst of undecoded C4FM unintentionally. But if you set the B VFO on the same frequency (which only does FM) as A VFO you will hear DATA for a split second just before the B VFO mutes and Digital audio comes thru the A VFO.

The audio of System fusion is pretty good. Sounds even better with external speaker for mobile and speaker mic on portable.

Overall system fusion is about as close as you can get to commercial performance as far as air interface. Defenitly better in fringe areas than D-Star. But it is not up to par yet compared to D-Star as far networking repeaters. But I am told there are some things in the works so to speak on networking end of it.

Yaesu still has a way to go with the product, though. Luckily most of the added features and/or problems can be updated with simple firmware updates.

Rant: Why do Amateur radio manufactures insist that most portables and mobiles be as small as possible, thus leading to punny speakers, I will never know. LOL off Rant.

Thanks for the ON TOPIC and germane reply as opposed to others who feel the need to bash the OP for their selfish reasons.

There are a couple of Fusion repeaters in the Atlanta area, my understanding is they are on "perma loan" from Yaesu and are essentially beta testers, and under the beta testing program, are not authorized at this time to provide details of the system performance in blogs, YouTube videos, or web sites at this time.

I heard from one station in the Lakeland, FL area on NXDN worldwide that the repeaters emit a loud burst of C4FM when a subscriber unkeys. Having not actually heard the repeaters in my area as I don't personally own a Fusion subscriber radio, I am concerned about this.

One gripe I have is the lack of built in networking on the repeaters, like D-Star, you have to purchase a separate gateway/router. I guess this is where NXDN has a real advantage when it comes to networking infrastructure.

I do concur that the small size of the units is a complaint, while many people like small pocket sized radios, they usually suffer from ergonomic issues (cannot hit the buttons without fat fingering!), lacking audio volume, run hotter than a road flare on transmit, and until the advent of lithium ion batteries, had subpar battery life.

A good MEDIUM sized portable would be ideal, but my guess is in Asia where smaller is better in the electronics world, there isn't much desire to build big "Americanized" versions.

Thank you again for your relevant reply.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
The link you posted is a club that exists "only for the operation of the repeater", and nothing more. They exist on a tower owned by the City of West Palm Beach (not the County) and have requisite approval letters. The West Palm Beach ARC coordinates a majority of the public service events in the County and does not have any management responsibilities of this repeater.

If you re-read closely I said that they "could of licensed in Part 90" and gave the back-up with using DMR as not being a proprietary technology should Yaesu call Fusion a bust and further decides not to manufacture or support anymore. I never said that they couldn't or were in violation, but others sure gave some very compelling arguments.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.