Yaesu: Yaesu FT2D/FT3D problem/questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

synthetik

I have a new FT3D, pretty pleased with it so far. I realize its new so not many people may have one for reference but its very similar in menu settings/operation to the FT2D. I have a strange problem I don't know how to fix and hoping someone with an FT2D would be able to help out.

When on APRS frequency in band B, the characters A12 appear up top where you usually see your squelch mode and tone settings. I've got APRS set up and working well, the issue is now when I'm on band B the A12 is always there on all the repeaters I have programmed in - I cant alter the squelch mode or tone settings and tone settings and no audio is received even though it's getting a strong signal on FM repeaters, the blue data light is flashing as it does when one receives an APRS packet. Band A works perfectly fine, the thing is this just started happening up until yesterday band B worked just like band A now it's acting like everything in memory is an APRS station. I'm guessing I accidentally changed some setting but can't find anything online and haven't been able to figure it out.

Greatly appreciate any help.

synthetik

Thanks, I always do manual beaconing or messaging. I turned the modem off and it works as usual on B band but I swear since I got it I had APRS modem on and was receiving beacons on B band but was still able to enter memory mode and use regular repeaters on the B band. Now A12 is stuck there when the modem is on (in both memory mode and vfo) and it won't let me turn on any kind of squelch or codes on B although it does allow me to change the repeater shift. Maybe I've lost my marbles. IF APRS modem is on and beaconing is off should the B band be able to operate on repeaters or is it essentially relegated only to APRS?

Last edited:

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
I've not used my FT2D for much APRS so I have limited experience. I just checked and I can't bring up a programmed repeater if A12 is on. Which I don't think I would have noticed as I would have turned the modem on only for APRS use and then off for normal repeaters. My other APRS radio was a Kenwood 710. If 'voice notification' was on then that messed with repeaters usage. On that radio it was easy to beacon on a repeater, not so much with the manual mode for the FT2D. It would seem that if A12 is on that side of the radio is APRS committed. Looking at your 1st post the blue LED is about open squelch for analog or data reception. I don't have the manual handy to check all the details for color.

synthetik

Thanks! I guess I'll leave it off unless I'm APRS'in. Looked further blue/green light just denote A/B band receive.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
When using System Fusion your location is sent automatically anyway with the FT2 and FT3. No need for APRS. APRS web based services pick up Fusion info through Wires-X.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
APRS web based services pick up Fusion info through Wires-X.
Can you give me an example of an APRS position report that came from WIRES-X? Something I can go to apris.fi or findu.com and search for?

borjam

APRS reception is beyond disappointing. Compared side by side to a VX-8DE the FT3D is missing maybe 20% of the packets.

VK4FAST

FT2D does the same thing you describe. Someone in the FB FT2D group had the same issue, and I check on an FT3D.

Is there a difference if you use memory channels for both rather than the VFO?

jmajdan

I am new to how this all works so forgive me. This is on an FT3D, I got the aprs set up and working I get the squawk and return on the HT S.List also see it on aprs.fi. I then walk out the house and go for a walk and nothing is noted, aprs.fi says last contact 40 min ago but I know I had it set on 30sec ping and hear/see the transmissions. At home the radio was on the kitchen counter and on the walk it was on my hip, about the same height level for the antenna. I would assume it would get a clearer signal outside anyway. Once I saw it was good and I had several returns on S.List I left the house. Any ideas or suggestions to make sure it is more reliable?
John KN6GNV

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Outside is better, but on your belt not so good. Especially if your body is between your radio and the iGate. Example of a poorman direction finding antenna for a fox hunt is hold radio at your chest and rotation 360 listening for peak and null of the fox transmitter. Take a walk holding the radio away from your body and see if that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.