Yaesu: Yaesu FT3D/FT5D external power supply while battery connected

pcunite

I'm wanting to continuously leave my FT3D radio powered on at my desk for monitoring but also for occasionally transmitting. The manual doesn't make it clear, but is it okay to use the SAD-25 ac adapter (10.5v 1amp) plugged into the DC port for this?

I first turn the radio on, then connected the SAD-25 wall adapter. The radio then reboots. I was then able to receive & transmit. I also removed the battery and the unit still stayed on. Was still able to transmit. So, it appears to not be charging/cooking the battery, which is what I would hope for.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The radio draws 1.6 amps on VHF at 5 watts, and 1.9 amps on UHF per the spec sheet. Running this off a wall-wart for transmitting is not a good idea unless you key up very sporadically. I'd find a suitable adjustable voltage power supply set to 10.5 VDC with at least 2-3 amps of current capacity, and also keep in mind keying up a portable may cause RF to get back into the power supply unless you're running an external antenna.

pcunite

Oh, I see. The SAD-25 will work for reception then. The SDD-13 car adapter puts out 2amp, and as you say that must be why. Do you know off-hand of a premade solution?