Yaesu: Yaesu FT3D problem sound APRS beacon TX

Status
Not open for further replies.

APX

I have a little problem with my Yaesu FT3D. For some time I have not had the sound of the APRS frame when I send my beacon. I looked in the menus but I found nothing. I also did a total reset of the device to restore all the treats but that did not solve the problem. The radio works the beacon is sent well
Have you ever encountered this problem?
Thanks for your help
APX

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Using a FT2D, under Setup -> APRS -> 10APRS RINGER -> TX BCN (ON or OFF). It is next to last in a long list that you have to scroll up or down to get to. Interestingly in my RT System programing software many of the items in that list are missing. That is where I first looked on the FT2D. I then looked at my FTM-400 RT System software and quickly found it. I thought I had better take a look directly on my FT2D and the results are in the first line of this message. I know you are using a FT3D, but I have found across models Yaesu's user interface is consistent.
Good Luck,
Mike

RBMTS

I know that KE5MC answered your question but I'm curious what you mean by "not had the sound" ? Are you saying you want to hear an audible beep every time a beacon packet is sent? Are are you trying to hear the data burst sound? I haven't done the APRS on my FT3 so I was curious what you were referring to. I ocassionally did on my older VX8GR and the beep was . . . . well just a bit annoying. So I'm curious if this is something different.

APX

Thank you KE5MC for your response, unfortunately that's not it APRS -> 10APRS RINGER -> TX BCN is ON. Excuse me for my English, that's the data burst sound. It was present before and it is present on the FT2D. It's strange, I haven't changed anything in the settings. Maybe a bug?

N4DJC

Thank you KE5MC for your response, unfortunately that's not it APRS -> 10APRS RINGER -> TX BCN is ON. Excuse me for my English, that's the data burst sound. It was present before and it is present on the FT2D. It's strange, I haven't changed anything in the settings. Maybe a bug?

I cant recall at the moment but check the TX/RX audio setting for A or B band. There is a mute function for the non operating band.

I just set the volume on the A band to hear it, but I usually didn’t use it.

Last edited:

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Copy and paste from the FT2D APRS manual below. If you have heard your APRS data burst I believe you have APRS MUTE - OFF and you are hearing your transmitted beacon a fraction of a second after the local digipeter repeats it. It might seem like it is sounding from your radio as it transmit, but it's not working that way. Its really full duplex, out from your radio, heard by the digipeter and retransmitted and then received by your radio, all happening in less than a second.

Are you receiving other APRS beacons? If so then maybe the local digipeter is not hearing your beacon and a unknowingly selected low power setting could cause that or APRS MUTE is ON. When you beacon does your station popup in the screen?

APX

I did a total reset of the device but that did not solve the problem.It may be a bug, the device works very well.
I haven't had any other problem yet.
thank you for your answers, I will keep looking.
APX

K9DWB

QRT
I'm not sure if you resolved this, but if I'm correct in that you want to hear the APRS packets going in or out, try this. Hold DISP to get into the menu. APRS from there and then select 8 APRS Mute. You would choose Off if you want to hear the packets and On if you want them muted.

Status
Not open for further replies.