Yaesu: Yaesu FT3DR question

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJ7UJO

I’ve recently purchased a Yaesu FT3DR, wondering if anyone knows whether you can disable the ptt for specific channels or memories? I have several repeaters and simplex saved, but I know some radios are capable of disabling the ptt button if you wish to use certain channels for scanning only- for example to monitor local ems. I’m curious if this radio is capable of that and thought maybe someone here would know. Thanks all,
KJ7UJO

K4EET

Chaplain
The radio will not transmit outside the ham bands. It isn't a Baofeng. If you press the PTT button on a non-ham frequency the radio will beep and display "ERROR".
Actually, if the Yaesu FT3DR has the "MARS Mod" than it will transmit out-of-band like a Baofeng.

Sooooooo... @KJ7UJO, does your HT have the MARS Mod? Also, welcome to Radio Reference!

73, Dave K4EET

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
I just checked the RT Systems software for the FT3D and I didn't see any option for disabling TX on a channel; don't know if the Yaesu software is the same. In the absence of such an option, you could always enter channels of concern as a "split" - with the public safety frequency in receive and an unused ham frequency (on very low power) in transmit, as a failsafe.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
The workaround...use the lock feature:
1. Set the Lock function to "All" in the menu, or one of the "PTT" Lock options.
2. After you enable "Scan", press the power button to enable the "Lock". (Press the power button quickly again to disable "Lock")

* Unfortunately, the radio will stop scanning if you press the "PTT" as well as "Stop" on the screen. There is no way to have it stop scanning only by pressing Stop. Still, with the lock enabled and set to All, or PTT or whatever PTT combo, your radio will not transmit if you press the PTT key while locked.

I’ve recently purchased a Yaesu FT3DR, wondering if anyone knows whether you can disable the ptt for specific channels or memories? I have several repeaters and simplex saved, but I know some radios are capable of disabling the ptt button if you wish to use certain channels for scanning only- for example to monitor local ems. I’m curious if this radio is capable of that and thought maybe someone here would know. Thanks all,
KJ7UJO

KJ7UJO

I just checked the RT Systems software for the FT3D and I didn't see any option for disabling TX on a channel; don't know if the Yaesu software is the same. In the absence of such an option, you could always enter channels of concern as a "split" - with the public safety frequency in receive and an unused ham frequency (on very low power) in transmit, as a failsafe.
Hey thanks that’s a simple fix but great one, didn’t even think about it thanks! Great group on here, looking forward to safely getting on the air, 73 -KJ7UJO

KJ7UJO

The radio will not transmit outside the ham bands. It isn't a Baofeng. If you press the PTT button on a non-ham frequency the radio will beep and display "ERROR".
That’s good to know, I assumed it wouldn’t but our area uses a few frequencies smack dab in the middle of the 2 meter band, I saw a suggestion on here that would take care of my problem. Thanks for the reply! 73- KJ7UJO

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Actually, if the Yaesu FT3DR has the "MARS Mod" than it will transmit out-of-band like a Baofeng.

The MARS/CAP mod is a really bad idea. The radio is not type accepted by NTIA for use on CAP frequencies. CAP partly uses
P25 and is narrow banded. Even if you are a member of CAP you can't use this radio. MARS is another story. However, you need to be registered with the military and meet certain requirements. I sincerely doubt that very many hams are members of MARS anymore. The main function was doing HF phone patches. Satellites have made that service obsolete to a large degree.

The radio has wide receive coverage so the mod doesn't buy you anything there. Aside from NTIA the radio is not type accepted for any other service either. What's the point?

A friend of mine had modified his two meter radio and was a rail fan. He started doing an ARES net on the Union Pacific road frequency once. I don't think they heard him because he didn't have the correct PL. This is an example of why not to do this mod.

In short you have no legal reason for doing this and, if you don't, there are no worries about transmitting out of band.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
That’s good to know, I assumed it wouldn’t but our area uses a few frequencies smack dab in the middle of the 2 meter band, I saw a suggestion on here that would take care of my problem. Thanks for the reply! 73- KJ7UJO
What users (other than hams) are in the middle of the two meter band? I checked the RR database for your county. Some VHF users, but not in the two meter band.

K4EET

Chaplain
If it was purchased new, it will not have the MARS mod.
Wrong. Go to Ham Radio Outlet and order the HAM RADIO OUTLET MARS MOD FT3DR option for $29.95. I am in USAF MARS so I am authorized to use the mod. I know of another ham who is NOT in MARS or CAP and ordered the MARS mod and HRO did it for them. So from HRO, apparently anybody could order this modification. The OP needs to tell us whether or not their radio has the mod...

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Aside from the many reasons for not doing this mod, it is a rip off to pay HRO $30 to do it. Anyone can do it and there are YouTube videos that will show you exactly how. I think that HRO claimed that their mod didn't void the warranty. Don't know if this is true. However, with a tiny pair of cutters and a few minutes you can do it. Caveat - it does reset the radio and wipe the memory. Have a backup, or restore from the memory card.

Hold the radio upside down so that no debris falls into it.

k6cpo

Wrong. Go to Ham Radio Outlet and order the HAM RADIO OUTLET MARS MOD FT3DR option for $29.95. I am in USAF MARS so I am authorized to use the mod. I know of another ham who is NOT in MARS or CAP and ordered the MARS mod and HRO did it for them. So from HRO, apparently anybody could order this modification. The OP needs to tell us whether or not their radio has the mod...

In all the radios I've purchased at HRO, not once have they asked me if I want the MARS mod and I've never asked about it. I don't need it
and neither does any ham who isn't member of MARS.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
In all the radios I've purchased at HRO, not once have they asked me if I want the MARS mod and I've never asked about it. I don't need it
and neither does any ham who isn't member of MARS.
The mod is on their website. For the FT3DR it is listed as an "accessory" Now called the MARS MOD (no CAP mentioned). It is $29.95. Not illegal if you are a MARS member. Also, not illegal because you can buy a Baofeng that doesn't need a mod. Don't get me started on Baofeng etc. but what is illegal is transmitting out of band not having a radio that could do it.

Seriously, if you can remove the battery, remove a rubber plug and clip a surface mount resistor you too can do the mod. At $30 a pop you could do ten or twelve an hour. Not a bad rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.