Yaesu FT8800r

Status
Not open for further replies.

nrfire2003

Premium Subscriber
I am in the process of saving up for an 8800r. What I am wanting to know is this.... When I get it set up where is the best place to mount the main console? Also when hooking up the external speaker it does hook to the main and not the relocated head correct? Is the RT aka.ADMS software the only programming out there. I know where I am getting the radio they only have RT.

This will be going in a 2002 Chevy Silverado Crew cab

Thanks for all your help. Hoping to have the radio in my hands in two weeks

Last edited:

herb5420

Yaesu FT880R

Sounds like you pretty well have this all sorted out. I just installed a FT-8800 in my Tacoma a couple of weeks ago. The two main pieces are the control head and the radio itself. The mic plugs into the control head, the speaker (that you provide, it doesn't come with an external speaker) plugs into the radio. The control head should be mounted somewhere convenient from your driving position. Mine's on the console between the seats right behind the shift lever and ahead of the elbow rest. I'm not sure I'm totally convinced that's the right place, but it will do for now. The nice thing is that it's small and easy to relocate.

You may have room in your Silverado to mount the whole thing (radio and control head) without separating them. Then you wouldn't need the speaker.

Best advice is to download the instruction manual from the Yaesu site and look at the various inputs and outputs that it discusses.

Good luck

Herb, KD0JMD

nrfire2003

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Herb, I got an email today from a local shop that they had a refurbished 8800r for 309.00. I think I will jump on that one. I know I could keep them together but no good place to mount it. I might be keeping my 2800m in there for a little while just for the heck of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.