• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Yaesu FTH 2070

Status
Not open for further replies.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
I have an older model. Is it worth keeping? Can it work with narrowband? Or, should I put it up for sale?

It doesn't support narrowbanding but the radio is still useable for the ham band. So yea you could sell it or if you are a ham you can still use it on the ham freqs. I have a 2070 laying around need a new batt and antenna for it. It is a nice commercial dual band radio.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
they are also certified for marine use (which narrowband rules don't apply) and GMRS (exempt as well), so they make great LEGAL marine/GMRS/Ham combo radios. They are built very well, old school construction, on par with an HT600/MT1000. The fact that there are so many still around working after 20 years proves this. They also made a vehicle adapter with an amplifier that cost as much as the radio. I have only seen one in my entire life.

You'll need a SLOW computer to run the programming software, and real DOS. Don't even think about running it on some dual core box. An old 486 laptop with a real serial port does the trick every time. The OEM programming RIB/cable is expensive and hard to find, but building a simple CAT interface is easy, and sacrificing an MH-20 speaker mike to get the connector may have to do.

Anyone has one in good shape they want to sell, PM me. Especially if it's the later "Vertex Duo" labeled 2070's.

I can also program, tune and test these for a reasonable price if any one needs help with them.

mjz55

Mine is a FTH-2070 dual band. The battery is shot and the rubber if peeling off the antenna. I thought of having it programmed for GMRS and marine. I thought GMRS is going narrowband? or it is MURS that is going narrowband or neither? I also thought of throwing it on ebay and getting a Wouxun KG-UV6D Dual Band VHF/UHF.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Mine is a FTH-2070 dual band. The battery is shot and the rubber if peeling off the antenna. I thought of having it programmed for GMRS and marine. I thought GMRS is going narrowband? or it is MURS that is going narrowband or neither? I also thought of throwing it on ebay and getting a Wouxun KG-UV6D Dual Band VHF/UHF.

if this happens (GMRS) it will be a big problem for many repeater owners and GMRS users. as it stands, no narrowband requirement. MURS is already narrowband on the 151.xx channels, but the 2070 isn't MURS certified.

It runs circles around the WouxDUNG. What a POS that thing is, I had one for a day, it gets too much intermod on UHF to make a useable ham radio, and scan doesn't operate correctly (will stop on a PL channel and pause if it hears a carrier with a different PL/DPL, totally useless). Not to mention, it won't do splinter channels, so it technically isn't narrowband compliant either, as it will not operate on the VTAC/UTAC channels as the FCC requires of radios built after 2005.

Save your money, a new antenna costs around $22 and batteries for your 2070 are around $40. If the radio is otherwise in good health it will run circles around one of those Chinese road apples.

mjz55

If I add all the GMRS channels what about the Interference Eliminator Codes? I wont be able to street change them will I?

kc4wai

I just got one of these and I love it. What an awesome radio!! The form factor is good despite the physical size of the radio...which is still shorter than a Saber, which I also have. Even if it will be obsolete in another year (plus change), it will still be a great radio for Ham, Marine and GMRS users. It's a shame that Vertex-Standard / Yaesu did not come out with a successor for this model...at least none that I'm aware of. I wonder if that's because of Motorola's recent acquisition of VS/Y and the need to sell more APX multi-band radios. Wish someone like Kenwood, Icom or even Hytera/HYT would introduce a multiband commercial/public safety portable to compete w/ the APX. Sorry but those 'lil chinese HTs just ain't gonna cut it. They might be 'okay' for hams, but those things are no good for mission critical apps.

traumacop

Premium Subscriber
I was going to post my 2070 in the classified section when I noticed this. I have a 2070 with charger, speaker/mic antenna and I think programming cable if anyone is interested.

Darrin

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned

Gmrs and Murs will not be narrowband so your 2070 will work just fine!

n9zas

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I assume you mean .57 and .60 on MURS will not be narrowband. As you know, the other three are narrowband.

Yes, those were. I almost bought a 2070 sometime back, oh well.

n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.