Yaesu: Yaesu FTM-100DR CTCSS/DCS search

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otto

For the life of me, I can't find in the supplied manual how to scan for tones with radio. I have a few Public Safety repeaters that I want to try to decode, but for whatever reason I'm not able to find out how via the menu. I'm able to do it with my other Yaesu radios (FT-60, FT-7900, and FT-857) but not this one. Is it not capable of tone scan/search?

Kinda lousy if it can't.

(Edit, sorry, can't seem to change the title, the radio is not the FT-400, but the FTM-100DR....sorry)

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
I agree with chief21 as I have not found anything in looking thru my manuals for both radio.

RepeaterBook lookup might be a better resource. One of my pervious radios had that function and I recall the radio would compare tones to the transmitted received signal and was very slow to find a match. Almost to the point of little real use if the repeater was transmitting the tone in the first place or you were in range of the HT or mobile initiating the call.

Mike

W4ILJ

Premium Subscriber
For the life of me, I can't find in the supplied manual how to scan for tones with radio. I have a few Public Safety repeaters that I want to try to decode, but for whatever reason I'm not able to find out how via the menu. I'm able to do it with my other Yaesu radios (FT-60, FT-7900, and FT-857) but not this one. Is it not capable of tone scan/search?

Kinda lousy if it can't.

(Edit, sorry, can't seem to change the title, the radio is not the FT-400, but the FTM-100DR....sorry)

Hi Otto, I have 3 of the Fusion radios (FTM400, FTM100 and FT2D) and the only one I see that accommodates tone squelch search is the FT2D. If you have that handheld you could search with that accordingly. Another option would be to use a scanner capable of searching in your desired frequency range. 73.

Otto

I agree with chief21 as I have not found anything in looking thru my manuals for both radio.

RepeaterBook lookup might be a better resource. One of my pervious radios had that function and I recall the radio would compare tones to the transmitted received signal and was very slow to find a match. Almost to the point of little real use if the repeater was transmitting the tone in the first place or you were in range of the HT or mobile initiating the call.

Mike
Well, repeater book only lists amateur repeaters. I'm trying to figure out which public safety agency I can only hear with this radio and the antenna I have installed. I could get my FT 7900 to do it, but it's installed in my car, and it would be a pain to take it out for just a small chore. (I can't hear this repeater in the mobile) the only thing listed is a police department nearly 150 miles away, and if I can decode the tone I can confirm it.

I get the consensus that the FTM 100 does not tone scan from the replies here. That's too bad.

Sent from my ASUS MeMO Pad 7 using Tapatalk

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I know the FTM 400 will scan for CTCSS and DCS. I have not used the 100 so cannot comment on that radio. For the FTM-400, on the frequency you are searching for CTCSS or DCS, press F/MW momentarily. In the display that comes up, select SQL/NOISE and press this item until SQL/T-TRX is displayed for searching CTCSS. For DCS press this menu item until SQL/D-TRX is displayed. Press F/MW momentarily to exit. Now press and hold DISP/SETUP until SETUP MENU is displayed. Now press SIGNALING menu item [or upper right DIAL button] to go into SIGNALING menu. For CTCSS use menu #1 TONE SQL FREQ. The frequency should be green in colour. Press upper main DIAL button to change frequency colour to Orange. Now use the scan button on top of the microphone to start search for CTCSS. For DCS after setting SQl/D-TRX use menu 2 DCS CODE and follow the same procedure to start the scan. The difference I note from the 8900 is that you cannot reverse the search by turning back the DIAL. Doing this stops the search so you now have to hit the back scan/search button on the microphone. If you don’t want to have this CTCSS or DCS on the frequency [it will stay if not], go out of the DISP/SETUP menu, go into F/MW and hit SQL/T-TRX until this menu item is back to SQL/NOISE.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
I know the FTM 400 will scan for CTCSS and DCS. I have not used the 100 so cannot comment on that radio.

Thanks so much, robertmac... I just learned something about a radio that I have owned for years. I also just discovered that the same concept applies to the FTM-100DR, but the procedure is slightly different due to the different menu structure.

To do a tone scan on the FTM-100... Set the radio to the frequency of interest; Enter the MENU and select #4 SIGNALING; select #4 SQL TYPE; Turn the dial to select TONE SQL (for CTCSS; for DCS, use the appropriate DCS selections for scanning DCS codes); Use the BACK button to go back to #1 TONE SQL FREQ and select it; hold the UP button on the microphone for 2 secs and tone scanning should start. Upon finding the correct tone, the scan will pause and the frequency will flash.

I am grateful that you shared this information, but I am annoyed that it is not detailed in the Operating Manual of either the FTM-400 or the FTM-100 (at least not that I could find). Thanks again.

John AC4JK

W4ILJ

Premium Subscriber
Thanks so much, robertmac... I just learned something about a radio that I have owned for years. I also just discovered that the same concept applies to the FTM-100DR, but the procedure is slightly different due to the different menu structure.

I agree, thanks for sharing. I to have discovered that I can CTCSS scan all 3 of the radios. Cheers

Doug, W4ILJ

Otto

Awesome guys! Thanks for the replies. It's too bad that feature is apparently not in the users manual, which is kinda annoying.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Otto,

Sorry, I missed the Public Safety agency information and focused on needing tones. That lead me to ham repeaters as tones are needed to open the receiver at the repeater.

For Public Safety listening only not sure the value of programing the tone has.

It would have been nice to find it in the manual. I'm going to have to write-up a cheat sheet and keep it with the radio. The supplied information reads like trying to find "Easter Eggs" in software application. I was never any good at that. :(

Mike

P.S. My reading comprehension sucks. Confirming if agency 150 miles away is the one you think it is.

Note to self: No posting until after coffee and at least 12noon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.