Yaesu: Yaesu FTM-300DR Not Transmitting Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC3DFR

Good Evening!

KC3DFR here with a new FTM-300DR rig just recently installed in my car. I can receive fine and I can hear myself talking from my HT on the radio, but I cannot get the Yaesu to transmit audio. I have the PL tones configured for the area repeaters, but no one can hear me talking from the Yaesu.

Has anyone experienced this and what has others done to fix this issue?

Thanks for the help!

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I have the PL tones configured for the area repeaters, but no one can hear me talking from the Yaesu.
1. You have the tones configured, but do you have the tone enabled? On a configured repeater memory, or VFO setting does it have the letters TSQ and the tone number in the top right? It may not say TSQ, but it should at least have TN for the transmit tone and whatever tone to the right of that.

2. Do you have the correct offset setup to talk on the input frequency of the repeater?

3. How much power are you using? Perhaps your system has an issue, or not enough power/watts to reach the repeater.

KC3DFR

1. You have the tones configured, but do you have the tone enabled? On a configured repeater memory, or VFO setting does it have the letters TSQ and the tone number in the top right? It may not say TSQ, but it should at least have TN for the transmit tone and whatever tone to the right of that.

2. Do you have the correct offset setup to talk on the input frequency of the repeater?

3. How much power are you using? Perhaps your system has an issue, or not enough power/watts to reach the repeater.

Thanks for the post!

1 - It does say TN in the upper right and I've tried TSQ as well. My local repeater that I am testing is for our radio club, W3CWC. The repeater is at 146.940 with a PL 100 (https://w3cwc.org/page/nets-repeaters/).

2- When I transmit, I see the offset going -0.600 to 146.340 which is correct.

3 - I am using the full 50w of the radio even though I can hit it fine with the 5w of the HT. I plan on changing the power to LOW once I figure this thing out.

When I checked the SWR with my meter, I was getting close to 1:1 so I know the SWR is okay on the rig. Also, the rig is at the latest firmware. I am almost completely at a loss of what I'm doing wrong or need to do to fix it.

Thanks!

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
I'm not familiar with that model, but I had a 400 mobile. Automatic mode select (AMS) has its quirks. You might be transmitting in digital mode and receiving analog because of AMS, Front Panel setting or memory channel setting. Something to check out. The 400 did not have a memory channel slot to record mode of operation. It was done from FP and icon showed what mode your were in. That missing feature did not go over well and I believe later/other models changed that. Your FP should show mode during PTT down conditions as well as frequency. I know you said "I can hear myself on simplex", but lacks details of configuration. I am assuming simplex was done changing to different channel or VFO mode on the 300 and that might have put you in analog transmit mode on the 300.
Good Luck!
Mike

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
The 300 and 400 are similar in set up, so here it is for the 400.

You may indeed be transmitting, but may be in digital mode. Check your display and if you see a white colored ""FM" after the frequency, you are not in digital mode. If you see a red colored "DN" like here in Display "A", you are in a digital mode:

1648059030163.png

If you are in digital mode, the D/X on the left between the volume buttons controls that and you can scroll through the modes by pushing it until you are in analog or whatever digital format you like.

If that isn't fixing it, you'll need to go into the setup mode and check your various settings. When I first got my 400XDR, I found it a bit too easy to alter or change settings and with no way to lock them.

If you are programming the radio via computer, throw the Yaesu programming into the trash and buy the RT Systems software. It is far and away a much better piece of software and it isn't expensive.

Larry1275

Good Evening!

KC3DFR here with a new FTM-300DR rig just recently installed in my car. I can receive fine and I can hear myself talking from my HT on the radio, but I cannot get the Yaesu to transmit audio. I have the PL tones configured for the area repeaters, but no one can hear me talking from the Yaesu.

Has anyone experienced this and what has others done to fix this issue?

Thanks for the help!

Call yaesu on this. they will help you....

Status
Not open for further replies.