Yaesu: Yaesu FTM-3200DR and Squelch

Status
Not open for further replies.

ds256

Feed Provider
I am having some issues and frustration figuring out the squelch settings on the Yaesu FTM-3200DR.

It seems there are two places to control the squelch. Menu Item #35 under Setup, and the Sql button.

The user guides aren't very specific about what differentiates the two squelch settings from each other.

Are squelch settings set globally, or are they individually saved in the MR memory recall/channel memories for saved frequencies? Because it seems that after multiple times, when I go into Setup Menu 35 after selecting a channel where a weak station keeps breaking the squelch, setting the squelch setting to a higher value, and then resuming scan operations, weak stations still keep causing the scanning operations to stay on the weak station. When I go back into Menu 35, the setting keeps reverting to OFF.

Someone please help me understand this! This is driving me crazy!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 6.27.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 6.27.32 PM.png
    97.7 KB · Views: 631
  • Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 6.29.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 6.29.14 PM.png
    78.4 KB · Views: 666
  • Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 6.29.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 6.29.35 PM.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 524

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The squelch using the [SQL(TXPO)] key is a conventional noise squelch. The RF Squelch adjustable through menu 35 sets a hard level based on S meter readings that the signal has to exceed before the squelch will open.

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
S-Meter based squelch has been around for awhile. It was handy on rigs that didn't have PL or CTCSS decode as a standard feature. If I recall, I think the Kenwood 741/742 were the first rigs to offer it ? That's going back to the mid 90's.

Just a bit of history if your wondering why it's offered. PL decode was an option on most 2 meter rigs back then and cable channel 19 was at 145.250 :)

ds256

Feed Provider
Thanks for the replies, guys. I am still left wondering, but I guess the RF squelch takes precedence over the conventional squelch? And apparently part of the problem is that I wasn't saving the channels back to memory after setting the RF squelch. The RF squelch seems to be a setting stored with each memory channel, which isn't really specified by the user manual. Still not sure, operational wise, how the different squelches are applied globally by default or are used on a channel-by-channel basis when scrolling through the various frequencies with the dial.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the replies, guys. I am still left wondering, but I guess the RF squelch takes precedence over the conventional squelch? And apparently part of the problem is that I wasn't saving the channels back to memory after setting the RF squelch. The RF squelch seems to be a setting stored with each memory channel, which isn't really specified by the user manual. Still not sure, operational wise, how the different squelches are applied globally by default or are used on a channel-by-channel basis when scrolling through the various frequencies with the dial.

One advantage of using software to program radio is you get to see what is stored per channel.

I use RTS to program my radios and at one time I had a VX-8. Yaesu does not vary much from model to model. For the VX-8 there is a column called "S-Meter Squelch" and the value you can select from a drop down list for that column is "Off to Level9". I would expect your 3200 has a similar item for each stored channel. RF and S-Meter Squelch are the same and if you change it, yes you must save that change back to the channel number you were looking at originally or save it as a new channel number. If you don't save it the change is temporary and when you change channel and then go back it will revert to the original stored value.

Mike

ds256

Feed Provider
Thanks for the suggestion regarding RTS. I considered finding some programming software and wasn't sure how effective it was for this radio, but also was going to see if CHIRP would come up with support for this model. I wasn't sure if I should spend the $50 for the software + cable, but it might be worth it to avoid some of these headaches. For now, I'm a little bit happier that I figured out the simple fact that the S-meter squelch is saved in the memory location with the frequency.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
For now with only one radio the RTS best plus is the cable will work. In the early days I spend well more than $25 in parts and time to make a cable that worked with a serial port. USB to serial conversion now adds another layer to deal with.

As you add radios the payoff is better. Sometimes the cable you have can be used on the next radio or that next radio has an SD card. Then you only need to buy the software for that radio.

With the 2nd radio its easy to move the 1st radio's load over and in 10 minutes of learner and tweaking some of the setup on radio 2 you are ready to put the 2nd radio on the air. Also, as your radio load changes its easier to make changes in my opinion at the computer, even if you only have one radio.

Chirp will do the same once you get past the cable issue. The money spent for RTS also buys support help if things are not going well.

Mike

k6cpo

the RF squelch is common to all Yaesus. I don't use it on any of the seven I own, but use the knob or button squelch instead (depending on the radio.)

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
On Kenwoods, that feature is called "S-Meter Squelch" which I think describes the feature a little better.

ds256

Feed Provider
Thanks for the help guys. One other question, how do I erase a memory channel? The user manual doesn't cover this either. It tells you how to 'mask' a channel but not erase it. I tried to enter 000.000 manually but it just beeps at me and won't take it. Can't find anything in the setup menu either. Is this something you can only do from a computer interface?

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
The " Acheles Heel" for Yaesu is they have only masking like you found and no delete. I imagine it puts additional burden on software and CPU operations to delete a channel and move data around in the radio. One of the advantages of PC programming is you rewrite the radio memory in its entirety. The clone mode is used to read and write to the radio. In the case of RTS the PC looks like the same type of radio you are connected to.

wrath

S-Meter based squelch has been around for awhile. It was handy on rigs that didn't have PL or CTCSS decode as a standard feature. If I recall, I think the Kenwood 741/742 were the first rigs to offer it ? That's going back to the mid 90's.

Just a bit of history if your wondering why it's offered. PL decode was an option on most 2 meter rigs back then and cable channel 19 was at 145.250 :)
In my area we have two of the local stations on cable on the same frequency as our best local repeater , cable refuses to admit the problem and is spending enomorous sums rewiring houses and sending "engineers" who cant identify the problem , so we all gets hefty discounts on our service because they cant stop it from happening ,because they are stubborn about its not our problem that we stubbornly won't leave the ham bands ,good luck with that ,because if you can afford to subsidize the entire cities customers bills ,it shows as we all claim we are paying way to much for service to begin with.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.