Yaesu FTM-400DR / p25

Status
Not open for further replies.

ke5lvt

Has anyone tryed to use a Motorola or other type of p25 radio to talk to a Yaesu ftm-400dr radio in digital mode?Yaesu FTM-400DR
Yaesu FTM-400DR

dmaria

Has anyone tryed to use a Motorola or other type of p25 radio to talk to a Yaesu ftm-400dr radio in digital mode?Yaesu FTM-400DR
Yaesu FTM-400DR

What would be the point? The Yaesu reps have stated that it is not P25.

RBMTS

+1 to what dmaria states.

The Yaesu uses a proprietary digital format. It is not compatible with Icom DStar, DMR, NXDN, P25, etc. At the moment if you want to talk in digital mode you need to communicate with another Yaesu digital FTM400 or the digital portable. Analog mode can talk to any other analog radio. But digital is only within the Yaesu family.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Just an example of how amateur radio is heading to non interoperability with everyone using different digital modes. Need to have 5 digital radios [or more if you count the Chinese digital radios]. Or for an ALL MODE radio.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Just an example of how amateur radio is heading to non interoperability with everyone using different digital modes. Need to have 5 digital radios [or more if you count the Chinese digital radios]. Or for an ALL MODE radio.

Heading to 'non-interoperability' what kind of nonsense is this? Since hams are not first responders what do we need 'interop' for???

Besides hams can 'interoperate' on FM, or SSB, or for those that learn it CW, or AM, or AX.25, or PSK-31, or SSTV or or or. So really how does digital voice modes change anything.

Anyone that thinks hams need to choose one digital format is smoking some good stuff. Share please! While I have my preference for what mode I like best, there is and will be room for others. For example While P25 is the default PS standard, there is also DMR, NXDN, TETRA, as well as Opensky. I have no desire to play with either P25 or NXDN on the ham band.

This HOBBY offers one as much or as little as one wants. I would rather have a purpose built radio for each digital mode, all band all mode radios tend to not perform great everywhere. They are a compromise somewhere somehow.

Like having separate radios for different modes. I own 5 different analogue radios, and an IC-92ad. When DMR comes to where I live I will be buying a DMR radio. Calgary now has a mixed mode Analogue/P25 machine, but I am not running out to buy a P25 radio.

Interoperability... What a joke... Very wackerish too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Well, I guess I will express my attitude. The discussion is within ham radio use and being interoperability has been discussed in other posts and different forums. I am not talking of interoperability with other agencies. For example, are we heading to the point when working a car rally that one has to decide what mode we use? Or how many radios we have to take? Even with the need for APRS at car rallies, parades limits ones ability to help. Now if our income allowed, we could probably buy all the radios we want. For the next parade, car rally, flood, search and rescue do I take the SSB, FM, P25, D-star, Yaesu, Kirishun, NXDN, etc.. Yes, for general hamming, it matters beans about what mode. Or if one is a wacker. I do like to support the clubs that put up repeaters. There are some cases where if I had the capability to use all the digital modes on repeaters, I would have a hard time supporting these clubs let alone the radios to use on the repeaters. D-Star needs support, P25 needs support. We have yet to get into NXDN, TRBO repeaters in Alberta. My attitude, right or wrong, is that all these digital modes are fragmenting hamming. I know this was discussed when AM voice, FM, SSB came out. A lot of younger hams were not around when this happened. No different today. And I don't smoke the good stuff or the bad. Some people haven't lived long enough to have spent money on the "latest and greatest widget" only to see it sit on the shelf collecting dust or trying to sell at the next garage sale. There isn't enough dollars or amateur radio operators to go around to have all these ham radio manufacturers developing their own "digital mode".

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Guys, this is not a debate about which digital mode is better or worse for amateur radio. We've discussed that topic at length in other threads.

The topic of this thread is whether or not the Yaesu FTM-400DR will do P25. The question has been asked and answered. If anyone has anything to add regarding this radio's ability to decode this mode, fire away.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
No, it does not do P25 despite what some shops and sellers are trying to tell people.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
can you MONITOR P25?

Not without additional software running on a computer. The FTM-400 will NOT decode P25... This has been extensively covered since the release of the portable and mobile at Dayton a few years ago

This was stated in this thread almost a year ago:

+1 to what dmaria states.

The Yaesu uses a proprietary digital format. It is not compatible with Icom DStar, DMR, NXDN, P25, etc. At the moment if you want to talk in digital mode you need to communicate with another Yaesu digital FTM400 or the digital portable. Analog mode can talk to any other analog radio. But digital is only within the Yaesu family.

Status
Not open for further replies.