Yaesu: Yaesu FTM-400DR Speaker Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

TA4VA

Hello Everyone

This is my first post and I hope I am in the right place.

I ordered Yeasu FTM-400 from Germany (wimo) to Turkey and the product arrived. But when I opened the product, I noticed that there was no sound coming from the product. I can see the signal on the screen. There is no "beep" sound when I press the keys. There is no response in either band. I can't get any sound from the external speaker connection either. (with adapter out of the box) However, when starting the product for the first time, a knocking sound comes from the speaker. After that, the device goes completely silent.

I sent an e-mail to the company I bought it from and to yeasu. Neither yeasu nor the company has responded for 5 days.

Has anything like this happened to you before and does anyone have any ideas for a solution?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Have you tried calling Wimo on the phone? I know that there may be some international telephone charges and language challenges. Is it possible that Wimo is on holiday right now?

@n9upc John, do you have any suggestions?

TA4VA

I sent another e-mail 2 days ago and got a reply stating that "the technical service is taking care of the order and they will be back soon".
Honestly, I don't know how many more days I should wait.

Have you tried calling Wimo on the phone? I know that there may be some international telephone charges and language challenges. Is it possible that Wimo is on holiday right now?

@n9upc John, do you have any suggestions?

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I have a 400-DR and the 400-XDR. Neither of those radios have that problem. I would perform a factory reset to potentially fix the problem. If a factory reset does not resolve it, the radio needs repair, or hopefully full replacement for you as it is new.

Now for the obvious and not so obvious.
1. Is your volume turned up on both A and B?
2. I believe there is a setting that when the APRS modem is turned on it mutes the VFO it is set to, but that should not affect both sides.
3. Leave both sides in FM mode and turn down the squelch on both. You should hear something after a factory reset, even if just static.

n9upc

To the OP...

Did you install or have the dealer install a FVS-2 board or BTU-1 board?

If one was installed be sure the speaker connector was plugged back in and is seated properly.

If you connect an external speaker (with the adapter) do you hear audio then?

If you hear audio via an external speaker I would assume the radios internal speaker is the issue.

You would need to contact the dealer to go through them or you could go through Yaesu directly. If you go through Yaesu directly you would be acting under the warranty. If you go through the dealer then you are dealing with them.

//N9UPC

TA4VA

I have a 400-DR and the 400-XDR. Neither of those radios have that problem. I would perform a factory reset to potentially fix the problem. If a factory reset does not resolve it, the radio needs repair, or hopefully full replacement for you as it is new.

Now for the obvious and not so obvious.
1. Is your volume turned up on both A and B?
2. I believe there is a setting that when the APRS modem is turned on it mutes the VFO it is set to, but that should not affect both sides.
3. Leave both sides in FM mode and turn down the squelch on both. You should hear something after a factory reset, even if just static.

Thank you for your suggestions. I reset the radio but nothing changed. I set the SQL level to 0 and I see RX on the screen, but no sound comes out. I also connected the external speaker to the adapter that came out of the box. Again no sound.

To the OP...

Did you install or have the dealer install a FVS-2 board or BTU-1 board?

If one was installed be sure the speaker connector was plugged back in and is seated properly.

If you connect an external speaker (with the adapter) do you hear audio then?

If you hear audio via an external speaker I would assume the radios internal speaker is the issue.

You would need to contact the dealer to go through them or you could go through Yaesu directly. If you go through Yaesu directly you would be acting under the warranty. If you go through the dealer then you are dealing with them.

//N9UPC

I did not install any boards. No modification was done. Yesterday, the dealer sent an e-mail address where I could reach the technical service. They also sent an e-mail saying that they will be settled in 72 hours.

I have the same radio in my car, I did not experience any of these problems.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
@TA4VA There is one other thing to try, but since the external speaker did not work I am doubtful this is the problem. You could open the radio body...carefully...and check to see that the speaker wire is actually connected to the board. There are eight screws, two on each side and four on the top. ( Leave the four screws near the speaker alone ) The speaker wire may not be seated correctly, or may not be attached at all. This may seem obvious and you may have checked, but it is worth mentioning.

n9upc

Thank you for your suggestions. I reset the radio but nothing changed. I set the SQL level to 0 and I see RX on the screen, but no sound comes out. I also connected the external speaker to the adapter that came out of the box. Again no sound.

I did not install any boards. No modification was done. Yesterday, the dealer sent an e-mail address where I could reach the technical service. They also sent an e-mail saying that they will be settled in 72 hours.

I have the same radio in my car, I did not experience any of these problems.

If the dealer is talking about doing a return that is the route I would suggest in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.