Yaesu: Yaesu FTM-500dr

KQ4GXP

I am a new Ham. I just purchased the Yaesu FTM-500dr as my first rig. The rig arrived and set up seemed easy. I can receive on several frequency that I manually programed into the unit but I am unable to transmit on any frequency. I have been checking it against my handheld. Check the manual but can not find any issue. I also tried the Yaesu mic from the control head and the main body - still not able to transmit. Any suggestions? thanks in advance.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
You are programming amateur radio frequencies? Please explain about checking against handheld. Could be desense? Have you confirmed with other amateurs. Are you trying simplex or through repeaters. If repeater do you have proper offset and frequency? If simplex are you sure offset is set to off? Are you using VFO or Memory? Is your coax and antenna old? Very had to diagnose problems without seeing what the VFO or memory looks like.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
You probably should have chosen a less-complicated transceiver for a first-time unit. What's done is done so I suggest you get some radio programming assistance from RT Systems. Their programming programs are intuitive and practically fool-proof. Each program is designed for a particular radio. (I am not affiliated with the company.) In the meantime, answer the questions and follow the instructions from those trying to help you here and you'll do just fine.