Yaesu: Yaesu FTM-5D not reading SD Card

sslukovenkov

Hello,

I am trying to update FTM-5D by using Sandisk 32Gb card and radio will not read it.
It will show all saved records, and it will write GPS logs and backup files. After adding channels via CPS, it will not restore or read new updates nor it will format the card.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
N1SSL

sslukovenkov

Did you format the card in the radio and what software are you using?
Yes, I formatted in Win11 to 32 FAT.
For some reason radio does not format the memory card, this is the second card I have been trying. It would record GPS logs and I could read those on PC. Very odd.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Yes, I formatted in Win11 to 32 FAT.
The card has to be formatted in the radio, not in your computer.

You might try a smaller card. The files that the radio uses are not very big. A high quality 8 GB card might work better than the 32 GB card you are using.

eorange

♦RF Enabled Member♦
I had the same.problem using an old and apparently crappy Microcenter SD card - couldn't format the card in the FT5DR. But the card seemingly worked for other purposes in the computer. Bought a new SanDisk card for the HT and all was well.

sslukovenkov

The card has to be formatted in the radio, not in your computer.

You might try a smaller card. The files that the radio uses are not very big. A high quality 8 GB card might work better than the 32 GB card you are using.
Thanks, probably 32Gb is overshot although recommended by Yaesu. I ordered 1Gb to try that again.

sslukovenkov

I had the same.problem using an old and apparently crappy Microcenter SD card - couldn't format the card in the FT5DR. But the card seemingly worked for other purposes in the computer. Bought a new SanDisk card for the HT and all was well.
thanks! I had PNY 32Gb, did not work at all. Then got Sandisk 32, I can make back up and see it while in radio. I edited back up in Yaesu CPS and radio would not able to read back up, nor it could format the card. Need to check 16Gb card.

eorange

♦RF Enabled Member♦
Just checked...using a SanDisk Ultra 32GB card. Because clearly I'll be downloading GBs of pics and files from the local WIRES-X repeater!

k6cpo

I've had good results with SanDisk and Samsung HC 32Gb cards.
Thanks, probably 32Gb is overshot although recommended by Yaesu. I ordered 1Gb to try that again.
Doesn't anyone read the manuals? Page 18 specifically states: "This transceiver only supports the following capacity of MicroSD and MicroSDHD memory cards. 2Gb - 4Gb - 8Gb - 16Gb - 32Gb." A 1Gb card isn't going to work.

sslukovenkov

I've had good results with SanDisk and Samsung HC 32Gb cards.

Doesn't anyone read the manuals? Page 18 specifically states: "This transceiver only supports the following capacity of MicroSD and MicroSDHD memory cards. 2Gb - 4Gb - 8Gb - 16Gb - 32Gb." A 1Gb card isn't going to work.
I meant 16Gb, misprinted. But I do read the manuals, thanks for advice