Yaesu going to a LMR/Mototrbo type radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

W2NJS said:
"He mentions the FT-1D is compatible with Motorola repeaters ..."

...and it is...IF you're running analog FM!

Or if it is a flat audio repeater, then the digital signal *should* pass through and be able to be decoded at the other end.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Or if it is a flat audio repeater, then the digital signal *should* pass through and be able to be decoded at the other end.
Yeah, but it's not re-clocked and there's no processing/error correction, so it is doable, but is less reliable.

VE3JSO

would the new radios be able to pick up all freqs like the analog ham radios? for example to listen to public saftey that is using motortrbo and tdma

MarkWestin

Although at the moment only the engineers at Yaesu know for sure, it appears from available information that the current model FT-1D (when available) will use a proprietary Digital format and will not be able to receive other Digital formats such as MotoTrbo. There are hints in the literature that a future radio or an upgrade to the FT-1D may allow it to use other formats, but at this point we can only hope for the best. It appears that the FT-1D will also work in Analog mode.

Mark

MarkWestin

As of July 27, 2012 the FT1D has received its FCC Type Approval number: K6620445X20. Not really any useful (or even not useful) information there. The Block Diagrams, Internal Photos, Operational Description, Parts List, Alignment Information, and of course Schematic Diagrams are "Permanent Confidential". The Users Manual is "Short- Term Confidential" until 09/10/2012.
I suspect that by that date Yaesu could have more information including a Users Manual available on their own Web Site.

I really want to want this radio, but so far it is leaving me cold. The total lack of information to date hasn't helped any.

Mark

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
if it isn't useable on any of the current DMR repeaters now in operation, what good is it? just another expensive toy radio. I'll keep my Baofeng UV-5R and save up the cash for a REAL TRBO/DMR radio and UHF Nexedge (already have a VHF), for the DMR and NXDN ham repeaters up near me.

N8OHU

if it isn't useable on any of the current DMR repeaters now in operation, what good is it? just another expensive toy radio. I'll keep my Baofeng UV-5R and save up the cash for a REAL TRBO/DMR radio and UHF Nexedge (already have a VHF), for the DMR and NXDN ham repeaters up near me.

It's a warmup for the "real" DMR radio, as they need time to simplify the programming software and making the whole radio "ham friendly".

BamaScan

Premium Subscriber
I just attended the Huntsville, Alabama Ham Fest and I asked the Yaesu Sales Rep about the
FT1DR/E handheld. The radio will work analog or digital. I asked him what type of Digital Format was it and he just smilled and said C4FM FFDMA. I asked him would it work be a Mototrbo ? No. Would it be a P25 ? No. He said that Yaesu will release the radio first in Japan at some trade show comming up. Then here in the USA. He said you would get less "Donald Duck" that what you hear on the current digital formats out there. I told him the radio will do no good unless they come out with some Digital Repeaters made by Yaesu. He said that they will be on the way along with mobile radios. Sorry Yaesu I will Not be buying another Digital Format that is only made be Yaesu. Just look at WIRES. It is a flop.

mancow

Database Admin
Yaesu and innnovation are mutually exclusive terms.

If they had created a DMR or P25 unit their sales would be phenomenal.

If they had created an FT-817 in a hand held configuration the size of a Bendix/King with a high capacity LiIon battery their sales would be insane.

When you talk to their engineers at trade shows they laugh and act as if you are out of your mind when you mention these things. The radio menus are a perfect example. They operate like some sort of Arduino hobby project with lengthy linear menus strings with obscure labels. There is no innovation or even an attempt to try to modernize anything in their line up.

Oh well, their loss.

N8OHU

The radios that Yaesu had (the Vertex Standard DMR stuff) is actually made by Motorola, so it's natural that Yaesu would start with something less complex before tackling DMR.

Status
Not open for further replies.