Yaesu HT charging question

Status
Not open for further replies.

conve36

The charger supplied with my FT-60R is 12v 200mah. I have been using a 12v 2A power supply lately to charge it instead of the stock over-night charger. My battery was already bad and barely ever held a charge before I starting using the larger power supply. When I plug the radio into the charger it says 11-12v and seems to rapid charge it. The battery hold a charge longer then it did before. It becomes warm after 30 mins on the charger usually when I take it off. Can someone tell me from an electronics point of view if i may be damaging the radio? I am having no problems so far... Also was thinking it is acting like a rapid charger right? thanks!

N0IU

Can someone tell me from an electronics point of view if i may be damaging the radio?
Definitely maybe! The other recommended method of charging the unit is with the E-DC-5B cigarette lighter adapter which I assume (a very dangerous thing to do I will admit) has a much higher current rating than your overnight charger.

cquirk

Most of these have current limiting devices that trickle to the battery through the radio. My guess is you are heating that and the battery up. So I would suggest you go back to the correct charger or put a current limit on the output of the device you are using.

VX 150 s are famous for gettting revenge when you over current them. The 60 R is not as delicate but who knows, chargers are cheap radios are not

N8IAA

The charger supplied with my FT-60R is 12v 200mah. I have been using a 12v 2A power supply lately to charge it instead of the stock over-night charger. My battery was already bad and barely ever held a charge before I starting using the larger power supply. When I plug the radio into the charger it says 11-12v and seems to rapid charge it. The battery hold a charge longer then it did before. It becomes warm after 30 mins on the charger usually when I take it off. Can someone tell me from an electronics point of view if i may be damaging the radio? I am having no problems so far... Also was thinking it is acting like a rapid charger right? thanks!
I this a used radio and charger? It could be that the wall wart charger has gone bad and causing heating problems. Check the voltage on the charger when it is plugged in with a volt/ohm meter. If you are getting more than what is listed on the output of the charger, get a new one. Or, get the filtered dc cable for the radio. Don't damage the radio with a poor charger. Yes, the 12v dc will charge the battery faster and sometimes better. The battery will only draw whatever amps to charge.
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.