• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

yaesu mobile and a ford crown vic

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevolene

I have a new yaesu ft1802 that I would like to install. my question is: is there anyone out there with a crown vic that has actually installed a mobile radio in it? I want to make sure I have a nice clean signal, therefore I figured the best way would of course be directly to the battery, unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any kind of access between the engine compartment and the inside of the car. Any help will be appreciated , thanks steve

stevolene

yes I am serious, my crown vic isnt a P71, its all carpeted with no ground bar or accessory hook ups under the dash as the cvpi has, thats why Ive asked this question, all Im looking for is examples, previous installs, and experience........this is to do this correctly the first time..............so please, if I need smarta$$ answers Ill ask my wife

hoser147

I had a civy version a few years ago, cant exactly remember where I went thru the firewall, but if you look there should be a place to come thru. As for antenna coax there should be a channel in the body right inside the doors under the carpet, that runs from front to back. Hope this helps. Hoser

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
I remember most Ford cars have a rubber boot around the steering column up under the dash. On the two Ford installs I've been apart of we just punched a hole through the boot and pushed them through- never had a problem. You might find more options if you are willing to pull your dash off.

Utah_Viper

Here is my Radio install:
pic071708_1.jpg

I ran the coax under the base boards to the backseat then into the trunk. The Radio is 'soft' mounted for now where the Ash tray would be in a civ model. I have a CVPI so it may be different in yours. Looking there should be similar entries past the firewall though. I would still look up CVPI Radio Installs as they are very close to identical and can give you some good ideas.

stevolene

thanks, I actually found a rubber grommet on the firewall where I believe the speedometer cable is going thru, I ran a small hard wire and it came out under the dash just right of the fuse panel, this looks like my ticket

CCHLLM

On the passenger side foot well, about midway across at the base of the vertical part of the firewall where it meets the slanted portion of the footwell and just above or behind the top of the carpet line, see if there isn't a harness passthrough with a grommet. With a fish wire poked through the grommet, you can pass a wire/cable under the heater components on the engine side of the firewall and route it right to the battery connection on the relay/fuse box.

Last edited:

stevolene

Here is my Radio install:
pic071708_1.jpg

I ran the coax under the base boards to the backseat then into the trunk. The Radio is 'soft' mounted for now where the Ash tray would be in a civ model. I have a CVPI so it may be different in yours. Looking there should be similar entries past the firewall though. I would still look up CVPI Radio Installs as they are very close to identical and can give you some good ideas.

for some reason I cant see that picture?

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
for some reason I cant see that picture?

It's hosted on photobucket.

Are you browsing from work or another computer on a network? I know the computers where I work are blocked from seeing many hosting sites so if I look at this page I would just see a blank area where the picture is.

Grog

Banned
Here it is attached to the forum, click it to make it bigger.

Attachments

• aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 877

stevolene

thats nice, but Id like to keep my ashtray, I did find a rubber grommett on the passenger side just below where the carpet line begins, Ill poke thru that to see if I can get some power from there, thanks, that pic looks excactly like miy interior except I have a clock where your trunk release button is

Grog

Banned
also, why are your power wires running towards the back seat?

Not my car but a couple of possibilities...

#1 it could be a power cord running towards something else to power that accessory and not to the radio.

#2 They could have a power distribution block between/under the seats/in the truck out of view.

jparks29

John McClane
REARANT1.jpg

1000633small1iq.jpg

Co-phased 800 Mhz to null any multi-path transmissions (frequent occurance in urban jungles), UHF, and GPS.

10006140aw.jpg

The radio install.

That car has been gone for about 2 years now though.....

My current vehicle is much lower profile, since I only have VHF in it....

IMAG0027.jpg

Just a 1/4 wave with GPS .

Last edited:

Otto

REARANT1.jpg

1000633small1iq.jpg

Co-phased 800 Mhz to null any multi-path transmissions (frequent occurance in urban jungles), UHF, and GPS.

10006140aw.jpg

The radio install.

That car has been gone for about 2 years now though.....

My current vehicle is much lower profile, since I only have VHF in it....

IMAG0027.jpg

Just a 1/4 wave with GPS .

I hope to god that you are a cop, and that is your work car...

Otherwise, that is pretty whacker-tastic. I mean, I like listening to my scanner, but no way in hell would I want to be driving around in a gas guzzler wanna be cop car.

If you want to be a cop, why don't you just apply for the job?

Whackers....

I just don't get it.

Do something that's at least fun!!!

IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

Last edited:

Grog

Banned
If you want to be a cop, why don't you just apply for the job?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

John has quite an interesting history, seems the motorcycles don't like him too much more either, do they John? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.