Yaesu or Kenwood 2 Meter Mobile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

riverrat373

I will be getting my tech license shortly and was originally trying to decide what dual band (2 meter/70 centimeter) to buy but have decided not get a 2 meter only because of the costs involved. ( I'm retired and on a fixed income ) I'm down to three choices, Kenwood TM-281A, Yaesu FT-1900R and the Yaesu FT-2900R.

I'm leaning towards the Kenwood because of the ability to program the radio with my computer and I don't see where that is possible with the Yaesu's. I know that the FT-2900R has internet capabilities but I really am not interested in that. Any suggestions? How good is the Kenwood? I like the fact that it has more power for simplex that the FT-1900. Thanks in advanced for any advice.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
All three can be programmed with your PC, and it really does make life easier if you have a lot of frequencies to put in.

Over the years I've purchased both Yaesu and Kenwood, although not these particular models. All of them have been good brands, so it sort of comes down to a preference thing, sort of like Ford vs. Chevy (or Toyota vs. Honda…)

What I have found, though, is that the weak point with the Yeasu radios is the microphones. I've had more issues with them than anything else. The Kenwoods tend to use their microphones from the LMR line and are built much better. Since the microphone is the part you are using, dropping, moving around, I'd want the more durable microphone, but thats my personal opinion….

Either of the radios would probably be fine for you. Once you purchase into a brand and get comfortable with the way it works, your preference will develop.

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

riverrat373 said:
I will be getting my tech license shortly and was originally trying to decide what dual band (2 meter/70 centimeter) to buy but have decided not get a 2 meter only because of the costs involved. ( I'm retired and on a fixed income ) I'm down to three choices, Kenwood TM-281A, Yaesu FT-1900R and the Yaesu FT-2900R.

I'm leaning towards the Kenwood because of the ability to program the radio with my computer and I don't see where that is possible with the Yaesu's. I know that the FT-2900R has internet capabilities but I really am not interested in that. Any suggestions? How good is the Kenwood? I like the fact that it has more power for simplex that the FT-1900. Thanks in advanced for any advice.

The 281a is on sale right now 137.00 dollars go for it.

K4PS

Premium Subscriber
Which Mobile

Both the FT-2900 and the TM-281 radios will give long service. The FT-2900 has more heat sink area. The FT-2900 in my use, is easier to program. The TM-281 has a better Mic and cord. You will replace the FT-2900 cord in three to four years. Both radios are within $10 new of each other. I would not turn around for the difference in performance of either. I have owned both.

MarkWestin

I'm still using my (about) fifteen year old Kenwood TM-V7A. Other than a couple of buttons that are a little strange, the radio still works fine.

Mark

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
The Kenwood 281A has a front-firing speaker with awesome audio... very important for a mobile radio. Also, the Kenwood is built like a tank, the knobs are solid and smooth, and the menu system is straightforward.

Seriously - an excellent starter radio. Check out the brochure for the '281A and the on-line reviews at eham.net

...just sayin'

-JK

countywacker

I just got a Wouxun KG-UV920P-A and love it. It has all the popular features in a rig at a lower price. I'm a big believer at you get what you pay for, but I'm very surprised and pleased with this radio so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.