Yaesu: Yaesu - repeater using packet jack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikek

Premium Subscriber
I've got a couple of FT3000M mobiles here. Both have a packet jack on the rear and I'd like to use those connections to create a temporary repeater.

It's been a long time since I had a TNC and my mind is blank about whether the RX Data line is going to:
a) pass voice audio from the receiver
b) do it in a way that translates to decent TX voice quality.

Below is a rough draft cut at the wiring diagram... Comments welcome and appreciated.

Thanks in advance, and 73.

nKzaXiR.png

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Tx Audio would be audio from the TNC to the radio. Rx Audio would be audio from the radio to the TNC. The RX Audio 9600 bps may be tapped at the detector before any de-emphasis is applied. I'd use the RX Audio 1200 bps instead.

nd5y

The squelch pin (6) will not directly key the PTT pin (3). You can't hook them together.
Pin 6 puts out about 5 V when the squelch opens.
Pin 3 has a voltage present all the time and needs to be grounded to key the transmitter.
You need a transistor or optoisolator circuit to key the PTT line.

If it's anything like a FT-7800R the 9600 baud rx audio is not filtered or deemphasized. 1200 baud is. You could try each and see how it sounds and pick what you think sounds best. The tx audio isn't 300 Hz high pass filtered so if your rx audio has PL or DCS you might have problems with other radios decoding the PL or DCS if you encode PL or DCS.

Last edited:

n9upc

I use the 10 pin mini din type connector on the DR-1x to connect my link radios so yes it can be done with the 6 pin mini dins.

As stated watch out for the SQL DET as it does go hi (5 volts) and the PTT needs an active lo in order to key-up. Might I suggest a 5v relay to handle this or do like I did which is purchase a mobile repeater and connect to the transmitter.

Audio filtering is not an issue but watch for flat versus modulated audio (such as the external speaker. In some cases I have had to use the sql det into that relay and then run the external speaker as my audio in on the transmitter. In other cases I have had to use flat audio due to linking an analog transmitter to a digital radio (P25, YSF, DMR).

Good luck and hope it works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.