Yaesu: Yaesu System Fusion Repeater Program (Same but new)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
If you need more Heliax I can usually come up with some for free.
It would seem to be prudent to take a drive down there after you advise and we work out a time. A friend and I would probably roll down on a weekend and play radio on the way there and back in his truck. He's got a Codan manpack 2110v I'm trying to get him to rig up a mobile antenna for. It's a struggle, as he prefers the streamline look of NMO 1/4 λ antennas on his new truck. My SUV is not quite a porcupine day-to-day, but it opens eyes when up in the Sierra's.

prcguy

Let me know what you might need in Heliax and I'll make some phone calls.

It would seem to be prudent to take a drive down there after you advise and we work out a time. A friend and I would probably roll down on a weekend and play radio on the way there and back in his truck. He's got a Codan manpack 2110v I'm trying to get him to rig up a mobile antenna for. It's a struggle, as he prefers the streamline look of NMO 1/4 λ antennas on his new truck. My SUV is not quite a porcupine day-to-day, but it opens eyes when up in the Sierra's.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
50' of 7/8" would be nice for the repeater. I could use 200' of 1/2" as well, or whatever you can acquire, even if in sections for other radios and receivers.

Hmm...all of that cable would weigh less than 50 pounds. Shipped in a box would not be more than $50 for FedEx Ground which would arrive the next day in California. Would you be opposed to putting whatever coax you get into a box? I could send you the shipping label once I know the weight and dimensions of the box. I can have them pick up as well.

Still, if nothing turns up after some phone calls, I appreciate your effort/offer.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
and a good repeater system.

Hahahahahahahaha

Thanks for the laugh. A good repeater.

They are junk. They absolutely need as much filtering as you can put in front of the receiver or they are deaf. The squelch is horrible and they are 2 mobiles in a box that you can’t even run at high power with out the transmitter failing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KE0GXN

Hahahahahahahaha

Thanks for the laugh. A good repeater.

They are junk. They absolutely need as much filtering as you can put in front of the receiver or they are deaf. The squelch is horrible and they are 2 mobiles in a box that you can’t even run at high power with out the transmitter failing.

It seems we have had nothing but problems with the two my club have. Finally regulated one of them to a back-up role and going with a DMR machine instead.

prcguy

Finished my RG-142 cable upgrade in my Fusion repeater and the replacements are at least half the length of the RG-58 originals. It may not improve anything but at least I'll sleep better. Male N connectors are silver plated but the chassis mount females are probably nickel, I couldn't find any silver versions on short notice but all the mating connectors will be silver.

Fusion cables.jpg

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Finished my RG-142 cable upgrade in my Fusion repeater and the replacements are at least half the length of the RG-58 originals. It may not improve anything but at least I'll sleep better. Male N connectors are silver plated but the chassis mount females are probably nickel, I couldn't find any silver versions on short notice but all the mating connectors will be silver.

View attachment 68690

Nice touch with the shrink tube.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
The RG-400 internal addition was completed here today. I used bulkhead connectors that were silver. Those mate to RG-400 jumpers to the duplexer.

It looks like I have 2dB of loss from that mobile duplexer. Well, that's the best I can tell using amateur gear. It could probably use a tune-up.

prcguy

Now I'll have to find some silver bulkhead connectors, thanks. Thanks a lot....

While I had the lid off I installed 7 snap on Laird VHF/UHF mix ferrites on all internal power and signal cables right at each radio, since there seems to be no RF bypassing anywhere. Now I have to make a plate to cover the existing AC power entry connector hole and install a Corcom line filter. I'm also concerned with the AC input wiring, the ground wire goes from the AC entry connector to a terminal on the power supply first, then the supply has a wire from its case to the chassis. The ground wire from the power entry should go directly to chassis first and the power supply case should connect to the same ground point on the chassis. The long AC wiring from the power entry area to the front panel switch will also be covered with braid grounded to the chassis when I'm done. This is all typical stuff I would expect to find in an actual high quality piece of communications equipment.

The RG-400 internal addition was completed here today. I used bulkhead connectors that were silver. Those mate to RG-400 jumpers to the duplexer.

It looks like I have 2dB of loss from that mobile duplexer. Well, that's the best I can tell using amateur gear. It could probably use a tune-up.

Last edited:

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Now I'll have to find some silver bulkhead connectors, thanks. Thanks a lot....
My pleasure. ;)

This is all typical stuff I would expect to find in an actual high quality piece of communications equipment.
True, and certainly not at the price point of this amateur gear. For me, I'm not chasing that RFI rabbit further until it raises it's head.

Still...those female nickel chassis mounts...you're living on the edge! How can you sleep? :p

I slipped a RX amp on (P432VDG) which helps. It is external to the case. That mobile duplexer I have is a knock-off of a Celwave mobile duplexer. It says it is 70dB, but it's more around 55-60dB of isolation per the last tune. I'm only pushing 20W out and it is working. Duplexer notes it can handle 50W and I did push that through for testing and it worked fine.

This is a good start; more fun to come later.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
2m pairs are tight up here. I was able to scour and get one coordinated for the local club. Probably worse down there.

I just found out that another local operator also connected up his Yaesu DR-1X repeater. My TX/RX on his repeater was poor, so I asked about his setup. He's running a UHF split antenna system 60' & 20' with the RX up top. He later told me that his coax runs are using LMR-400 and each is over 150'. Fuuuudge. He then said something about LMR-600 and I told him about Heliax. Fuuuddge that is a long run. It's only temp for testing he noted.

Anyways, I'm sourcing some 1/2" Heliax N connectors to improve what I can here. This low level repeater exercise is educational when trying to squeeze every bit out of it. At 3000' elevation and up, certain concerns fade away.

prcguy

2m pairs are non existent here unless you want to trade someone a nice new car for it. All I can do on 2m is the temporary parade type repeater pair limited to 72hrs use per month. I tested my Fusion repeater/duplexers today for desense and there is none. Receiver sensitivity with antenna connected is the same with transmitter on or off, 2m or 440, so the duplexers here are tuned ok.

That split system better have some cans for isolation, otherwise good luck. 150ft of feedline is not good but if its all going for a higher antenna then the end result will be better than a short run and a low antenna.

I checked on 50ft of free 7/8 Heliax a few minutes ago and was told there is probably more than 50ft available. Not sure when I'll be near the warehouse to fetch it.

2m pairs are tight up here. I was able to scour and get one coordinated for the local club. Probably worse down there.

I just found out that another local operator also connected up his Yaesu DR-1X repeater. My TX/RX on his repeater was poor, so I asked about his setup. He's running a UHF split antenna system 60' & 20' with the RX up top. He later told me that his coax runs are using LMR-400 and each is over 150'. Fuuuudge. He then said something about LMR-600 and I told him about Heliax. Fuuuddge that is a long run. It's only temp for testing he noted.

Anyways, I'm sourcing some 1/2" Heliax N connectors to improve what I can here. This low level repeater exercise is educational when trying to squeeze every bit out of it. At 3000' elevation and up, certain concerns fade away.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Thank you for checking on the Heliax. It is appreciated.

As for the antenna split, I thought his 40 feet of vertical separation on UHF would be enough isolation, but I am not expert. He does not have a duplexer yet. It is located at his house on a tower, versus a saturated hilltop site. He has several acres of room.

That is good news about your cans.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
This knockoff of the Celwave mobile duplexer is just not providing enough isolation as a reject/notch filter (No big surprise). Although I have observed a Celwave tune better, I am doubtful a mobile notch duplexer would satisfy my needs. I need a Bp/Br and do this right because it may eventually end up in an RF unfriendly environment. I missed a PD526-4-2 on QRZ a month ago; another or the like will eventually surface.

I also thought I had obtained plenty of LDF4-50A a year back. After a recent closer inspection, it turns out it was FSJ4-50B. :poop:
Fortunately, the cost was just a trip to pick it up. Still, it will work fine for a long run on HF.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Guys, I've been hoping that you'd get back on topic, but my hopes have been dashed. :(

If you want to talk about setting up a repeater, please start a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.