Yaesu VR 5000 Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

emenari3

Please help! I've got a used Yaesu VR 5000 and I need some advice on operation. What kind of antenna should I use (preferably under $100). And I need a tuning knob. Can I get one from the manufacturer?

kruser

Premium Subscriber
The tuning knob appears to be a standard 1/4 inch shaft with a flat. It's one of the most common shaft sizes.
Finding a knob that will fit would probably not be that hard if you don't need the original knobs looks. The knob on eBay seems overpriced but maybe not for someone wanting to restore a VR-5000 to the factory look. If you have any old radios or boomboxes or stereo receivers laying around, there's a good chance you may find a knob that will work.

majoco

Stirrer
Before my VR5k succumbed to the display lines disease I ran it from a discone and it worked very well on V/UHF - on HF it wasn't too good for general surfing, I guess the front end was nothing special as it did overload on the broadcast bands but it was scanning HF Aero frequencies controlled from software quite well. I ran it from an HF OCFD at the time

Status
Not open for further replies.