Yaesu VX-150 or VX-170?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WB4DAV

Looking for some input on these two HT's. I am in the mood to buy a 2m HT and given that these are pretty much equal in price, which one would you go with? If the VX-150 didn't come with an extra battery it would be easier for me to decide, but that is a pretty good $40-$50 value. The 170 has the larger screen, but the 150 has the angled screen which seems to be more ideal when wearing on the belt, or carrying in the cup holder of the car.

All opinions and thoughts appreciated!

UPDATE: Search is my friend...I have found some good coments on both radios, but if you have more feel free to share.

David
KGIQS

Last edited:

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
If the VX-150 didn't come with an extra battery it would be easier for me to decide, but that is a pretty good $40-$50 value.

The stock 150 battery is a 700mah nicad battery. 170 comes standard with the 1400mah NimH battery. Even with two batteries, I vote for the 170 on that issue if you're going to be using the stock batteries.

The 170 has the larger screen, but the 150 has the angled screen which seems to be more ideal when wearing on the belt, or carrying in the cup holder of the car.

The screen on the 170 looks great to me, if you can get by with the smaller 150 screen I do agree the angle would be helpful. I had a top display motorola MT2000 and that was handy. For my eyes though, I say the 170 wins again. The VX150 can show all seven digits for a frequency (in case you have a splinter and/or narrowband programmed) or a segment alpha-numeric display.
http://www.universal-radio.com/CATALOG/ht/3187lrg.jpg

The VX170 can only have a six segment alpha-numeric display, but it would be large :lol:

While the 150 is rugged, I would bet the 170 is as rugged, if not more. You can also get a VX177 later if you'd like a monoband 440 HT to be a matching radio, without having to re-learn anything.

If it were me and I bought either radio, I would likely get two AA cases, fill them with 2000mah eneloop AAs and sell the battery/batteries to someone else anyway :lol: Both of the radios share the same AA case, so I guess we could safely say that they can use each others batteries as well. Since the 150 is so much older, they are wanting to get rid of what they have and the smaller capacity batteries with it.

....edited to add more info and to move things around....

Last edited:

N8IAA

I never had a 150, but there is a 170 in the shack. Audio kicks butt, display is huge, and the battery life is great. However, wish that I had gotten another 60 for the wonderful extended receive it has. Battery life is really good on the 60 also. Good luck with what you choose.
Larry
Hamming for 23 yrs
Scanning for 35+ yrs

w5cyc

I've had a 150, but no 170. Liked the 150, and they also come pretty cheap on the used market. Both are built like a tank.

But I agree with the other guy...spend another $60 and get an FT-60.

WB4DAV

I really appreciate all the advice!

You know I had not even thought about the FT-60 until now! Dual Bander w/ 1000 memories, and appears to be as sturdy as the VX-150 with the large screen like the VX-170. The extended Rx is a huge plus too.

Seems like a lot more value with features that are actually useful for a mere $60 extra- Hmmm I think my mind is made up.

Now the problem is filling up all those memory channels without losing my mind! HA-

Thanks again-

David
KG4IQS

N8IAA

I really appreciate all the advice!

You know I had not even thought about the FT-60 until now! Dual Bander w/ 1000 memories, and appears to be as sturdy as the VX-150 with the large screen like the VX-170. The extended Rx is a huge plus too.

Seems like a lot more value with features that are actually useful for a mere $60 extra- Hmmm I think my mind is made up.

Now the problem is filling up all those memory channels without losing my mind! HA-

Thanks again-

David
KG4IQS

Free software at: http://kc8unj.com
He writes better stuff than RT systems.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
For NC with still a lot of RXing on VHF & UHF, the FT60 is a good choice. I have been chastised for not answering between the two picks, so this time I stuck with the two off the topic :lol:

If you ever need another VHF HT, you can share the packs with the FT60 as well, never a bad idea to keep things simple.

WB4DAV

Grog good job, you stayed on point...if anyone ever complains again let me know!

Glad to hear so many positives about the FT60.

The only thing I see that gives me some concern is some folks are reporting that the lettering wears off the keys with heavy use. Anyone have any experiences with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.