Yaesu VX-2E...

Status
Not open for further replies.

majoco

Stirrer
...suddenly won't turn on. I was using the memory cloning programme called VX2 Commander which has always worked well - I reorganised and deleted some redundant frequencies, sent it back into the VX2 and now it's just dead. I tired the software reset, tried removing the battery and letting it have a sleep, tried it on the external power - nah. When I re-insert the battery, it makes a very short burst of noise and then nothing.

Great little radio mainly used as a scanner, had it for 13 years and still on the same battery - yes, the battery is still good - I'll miss it if it has to go into the bin.

Any help gratefully received.

majoco

Stirrer
Ok, guys, everyone was baffled just like I was! Anyway, I just experimented. Given that there was a little blast of noise when I refitted the battery, I figured that it was working, but something was inhibiting the output - the display was blank too. After a while of button pushing, I managed to get some life - re-insert the battery while holding a couple of buttons down brought up a screen that implied I was halfway through uploading all the memories. So I went along with the silly idea and connected up the cables and the upload programme - removed the battery, tried again, and it carried on uploading to the computer and when complete, went to the start screen! Hooray! I ran through all the memories, they seemed to be intact and reception was good on my locals. I downloaded and uploaded a couple of times and all is well so I guess that's a fix!

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
As this isn't a true scanner, you might ask to have thread moved to the Vertex Standard postings.

majoco

Stirrer
I looked at that and it says "professional or public safety" - this is a ham rig and I thought it would fit better here.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
I had two VX-1Rs and currently have a VX-3R, which I love! Your situation never happened to me yet, but good to know it's kinda recoverable. Sounds like the firmware put itself into an unknown state.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I looked at that and it says "professional or public safety" - this is a ham rig and I thought it would fit better here.[/QUOTET
Then Amateur Radio Equipment. Your title of VX-2E....lead me to believe it was a Vertex Commercial HT.

majoco

Stirrer
It only transmits on 2m and 70cm but it has a DC-to-daylight receiver and 900 memory channels, 20 memory banks, 10 weather broadcast memories, 280 marine VHF channels, 89 shortwave broadcast channels and lots of other band edge and other memory functions - every memory bank is scannable along with all the other special banks. It says "Yaesu" on the front not "Vertex", has more functions than most scanners and certainly more than a commercial HT which is why I put it in the "all other scanner manufacturers" slot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.