Yaesu VX-3 used as a scanner ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

rja1

Premium Subscriber
Looking into using a VX-3 HT as a scanner. Most of my listening is in the VHF 150-160 Mhz area & some low band 46-48.5 Mhz. I've read that the FM broadcast reception stinks, but I don't listen to FM. Anyone else using their VX-3 as a scanner? Opinions, please.

Thanks,
bob
N2OAM

trixwagen

I use a VX-3R as a scanner. FM broadcast really isn't THAT bad, it's better than broadcast AM, anyway.

The biggest thing going for it, of course, is its micro size, good for stealth, if such attributes are your thing. People seem to think it is a cell phone, which isn't a bad thing.

Antenna will make a difference, for better or worse. I use a totally ridiculous Diamond SRH805S. I think the "gain" is about -2 db, but the antenna is 1 3/4 inches long, so I can stick the radio, antenna and all into my pocket, no sweat. A better antenna for actual performance would be the 6 inch Diamond SRH815.

I use FTBVX3 software to do the programming, and the radio has 1000 memories, so it holds what you need. Scanning through all the channels is slow compared to the typical Uniden or GRE scanner. You get 6 character alpha tags, which is better than nothing. Of course, trunking and digital are out of the question.

If you have a number of analog conventional frequencies you need to listen to unobtrusively, I'd say go for for it. On the other hand, for the $180 you'd drop on a VX-3R, you could get a much faster (and larger) trunking scanner.

Last edited:

steveh552

I use my Vertex and Yaesu's also as my scanners currently. They work for regular VHF but nothing more. I have done it quite some time, as said, scanning is slower, but functional.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The receive capabilities are wide-band, very extensive. The problem with the quality of FM broadcast reception is not the sensitivity, but with width of the filters. They're not wide enough to produce hi-fidelity audio. The VHF TV audio will cease to function when analog TV goes away.

The VX-3R receives: 500 - 1800 kHz (AM Band), 1.8 - 30 MHz (Shortwave), 30 - 76 MHz (VHF Lowband with 6M), 76 - 108 MHz (FM band), 108 - 137 MHz (Air Band), 137 - 174 MHz (VHF High band with 2M), 174 - 222 MHz (VHF TV audio), 222 - 420 MHz (VHF band with 220), 420 - 470 MHz (440), 470 - 800 MHz (UHF-TV audio) and 800 - 999 MHz (800 band [cellular blocked]).

prcguy

It sounds like you don't own or have never used a VX-3R. The radio has very high quality audio on FM broadcast, just try it with good quality headphones. The sensitivity on FM broadcast is not stellar and the stock antenna is the real problem here. Using the earphones as the antenna makes a big improvement and an after market antenna is mandatory for anything but UHF. I tested a bunch of after market antennas and there is one dual band model by Workman sold on Ebay occasionally for under $10. This antenna is only a thin wire about 7" long and it outperformed many other antennas that were upwards of 16" long. The testing involved basic receive signal strength and to weed out the final one I transmitted about 50ft away to an HP power meter with a pickup antenna, accurate to within a tenth of a dB or so. This showed the Workman antenna was about 6dB better than the stock antenna on 2m and held its own with the larger antennas. The VX-3R can be used as a scanner and receives fine with after market antennas, but it does lack needed features that typical scanners have like busy channel lockout. Overall its a great little radio and I carry one everywhere now. Replacement batteries can be had on Ebay for as little as 99c + $6.95 shipping.
prcguy

The receive capabilities are wide-band, very extensive. The problem with the quality of FM broadcast reception is not the sensitivity, but with width of the filters. They're not wide enough to produce hi-fidelity audio. The VHF TV audio will cease to function when analog TV goes away.

The VX-3R receives: 500 - 1800 kHz (AM Band), 1.8 - 30 MHz (Shortwave), 30 - 76 MHz (VHF Lowband with 6M), 76 - 108 MHz (FM band), 108 - 137 MHz (Air Band), 137 - 174 MHz (VHF High band with 2M), 174 - 222 MHz (VHF TV audio), 222 - 420 MHz (VHF band with 220), 420 - 470 MHz (440), 470 - 800 MHz (UHF-TV audio) and 800 - 999 MHz (800 band [cellular blocked]).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.