• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Yaesu VX-3R HT with Wide-Band Receive

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
I just discovered Yaesu's VX-3R Dual-Band Ham HT, with wide-band receive. It's very impressive!

Universal Radio - Yaesu VX-3R Link:
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/3003.html

Here are the "receive" spec's from Universal's site:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Frequency Range Receive: [/FONT]​
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 0.5 - 1.8 MHz (“BC BAND”)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]0[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]​
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 1.8 - 30 MHz (“SW BAND”)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]0[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]​
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 30 - 76 MHz (“6M”)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 76 - 108 MHz (“FM”)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]108 - 137 MHz (“AIR”)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]137 - 174 MHz (“V-HAM”)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]174 - 222 MHz (“VHF TV”)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]222 - 420 MHz (“ACT 1” Action Band 1)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]420 - 470 MHz (“U-HAM”)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]470 - 800 MHz (“UHF-TV”)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]0[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]0[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]​
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]800 - 999 MHz (“ACT 2” Cellular Blocked)[/FONT]

Ch1ronTL34

Yes I've had one for almost a year now...there's a whole thread about it in general scanning i believe...it's a tiny little unit

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
Did you buy one or just discover it existed?

I'm interested to know how easy/fun it is to operate from a scannist's perspective.

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
DanTSX said:
Did you buy one or just discover it existed?

I'm interested to know how easy/fun it is to operate from a scannist's perspective.
I just discovered it, I had no idea it has been out for so long. I like small radios like this, as you can keep them in your coat pocket, and when the wife is in a store, or you just get bored, there is always something to listen to! I've used the Icom IC-R2, and R5 in the past. Maybe the VX-3R would motivate me to get off my butt and get a ham license.

These types of radios are a little awkward to program and use, compared to scanners. But when you get used to them, you'll soon appreciate their performance. Of course you don't have trunking, or digital modes, but there's still lots to listen to.

Ch1ronTL34

Interestingly enough, I got the idea for purchasing a VX-3R when I took my Technician test. Another ham had a VX-2R and I really liked it, so I went online to buy one only to find out they had been discontinued. So, I bought the VX-3R instead. I like the small size and the fact that you can listen to broadcast AM/FM radio, but the stock antenna performs poorly in general. I'd recommend a rat-tail type antenna to really get the most out of this radio. Another thing I dislike about this radio is the absence of a numeric keypad for direct entry of frequencies...It gets kind of annoying to have to use the little click wheel/volume control to get to a frequency...especially if you want to get to, say, 180.XXX mhz and the band starts at, say, 156.XXX mhz, you have to wait for it to scan all the way through the band until it stops at the frequency you want. Hopefully that made sense.

ybbmadysu

GreatLakes said:
Maybe the VX-3R would motivate me to get off my butt and get a ham license.
Thats what I am doing right now, no not buying that HT.
I bought the ARRL's tech book. I VERY much like the teaching method used in this book. Just need to take some time away from fishing to study.

And for the HT. WOW, SUPER wideband Rx. Very nice.

XTS3000

the FM 88-108 is TERRIBLE even with a tuned 88-108 antenna - worthless IMHO. Other than that, a nice unit.

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
XTS3000 said:
the FM 88-108 is TERRIBLE even with a tuned 88-108 antenna - worthless IMHO. Other than that, a nice unit.
Terrible in what way? Sound quality, sensitivity? I'm not familiar with the radio, but when set to that band, does it default to WFM mode?

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
GreatLakes said:
I just discovered it, I had no idea it has been out for so long. I like small radios like this, as you can keep them in your coat pocket, and when the wife is in a store, or you just get bored, there is always something to listen to! I've used the Icom IC-R2, and R5 in the past. Maybe the VX-3R would motivate me to get off my butt and get a ham license.

These types of radios are a little awkward to program and use, compared to scanners. But when you get used to them, you'll soon appreciate their performance. Of course you don't have trunking, or digital modes, but there's still lots to listen to.

Okay. I was eyeballing it too. For less than $200 and being very small and hopefully typical Yaesu well-built, I was thinking of grabbing one so I could listen to MW (am broadcast) in the office. Switch to Shortwave with a clip-on whip in the evenings, and if anything big went down in town (every emergency vehical in town has to buzz past my office so I would be alerted) I could switch over to their frequencies. Local Pub Safety is all in the clear analog w/o trunking. I think the closest trunk I have set up is 5 towns away (bristol, CT).

Obviously, if it doenst handle MW/SW/LW well, I'm still better off with a seperate radio and taking a scanner to work.

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
XTS3000 said:

you had to have it in narrow-bandwith mode.

Switch to wideband and your set.

If you ever picked up TV station audio on a scanner its all clipped. That is because it is recieving a very narrow portion, and tons of the transmission is lost.

XTS3000

GreatLakes said:
Terrible in what way? Sound quality, sensitivity? I'm not familiar with the radio, but when set to that band, does it default to WFM mode?
Sensitivity is TERRIBLE. It is not just a bad radio I got because I've tested at least 5 so far. Yaesu should be assamed at producing the 3R with such terrible WFM 88-108 reception. Yes, I activated the headphone antenna, as well as the normal antenna. Even stations 5 miles away are all static and fuzzy (in WFM mode)

Just tried another one that is a friends , same thing. Poor FM broadcast reception. Nice radio is your not gonna use the WFM broadcast band (something really nice to have these days)

Status
Not open for further replies.