Yaesu VX-3R

Status
Not open for further replies.

echo4929

Hello, I am interested in purchasing the Yaesu VX-3R to use as a VHF 'scanner' and a HAM radio. Is this a good radio? Will I be able to transmit on all HAM frequencies with my Tech. License? Is it easy to program? Thanks!

And...is there any way that I could use a Motorola Mic with this radio?

prcguy

I have one, cute radio and works very well. The stock antenna is ok receiving UHF commercial but not so good outside the 2m ham band on VHF. I tried several after market dual band antennas and a 7" long version from Workman (WEP) works much better. One nice feature of the radio is it uses common cell phone/camera batteries that can be purchased for a few $ on Ebay. No more $70 OEM rip off batteries.
prcguy

Ch1ronTL34

One thing I don't like about my VX-3R is the lack of a numbered keypad for direct entry of frequencies...But I love its small size. The stock antenna is pretty useless; I'd recommend a rat-tail type antenna.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
echo4929 said:
Will I be able to transmit on all HAM frequencies with my Tech. License? Is it easy to program? Thanks!

No. It only transmits on the 2 meter and 70 cm bands.

echo4929 said:
And...is there any way that I could use a Motorola Mic with this radio?

Not easily. And it's certainly not worth the effort. There should be a speaker mic available that'll just work, and you won't have to destroy either the radio or the microphone.

Last edited:

echo4929

Okay, so can I buy this radio before I get my license and just not use the HAM frequencies?

And...if I move locations or something, do I need to re-enter the new HAM repeater frequencies for my new area?

Can I program this radio out-of the box or do I need a programming cable and software?
I want to purchase this radio, just want to make sure I can program it myself.
Thanks

n2mdk

I'm not really sure the the VX-3R is the best way to go for your first Ham HT it's a nice little radio but I think something like the FT-60 might be a better way to go. It has a keypad so direct entry of frequencies is easier it also has more output power 5W compared to the 1.5/1W of the VX-3R
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/0060.html
The picture is a bit deceiving because that person must have quite a large hand, but the radio isn't all that big.

Last edited:

N8IAA

echo4929 said:
Okay, so can I buy this radio before I get my license and just not use the HAM frequencies?And...if I move locations or something, do I need to re-enter the new HAM repeater frequencies for my new area?Can I program this radio out-of the box or do I need a programming cable and software?I want to purchase this radio, just want to make sure I can program it myself.
Thanks
Yes you can buy the radio and use it as a scanner until licensed.

No, there are 1000+ frequencies in the radio, you don't need to keep re-entering them.

Get the programming cable and software. Faster,and easier. But learn how to do it manually. You won't have a PC around all the time.
Larry

Last edited:

prcguy

The VX-3R is really small and a lot easier to carry around than any other hand held I own. Its stock antenna is great on UHF and so-so on 2m but with an aftermarket antenna I can work any 2m repeater that my other current 4 and 5w hand helds can do. Its also no more difficult to operate or enter frequencies than the other hand helds on the market today. I really like the one knob does all feature and it stows away to lock the radio functions. The AM FM broadcast reception is nice and is stereo on FM when external earphones are used. The radio has a built in ferrite bar antenna for AM and can use the earphone cable as the FM antenna to improve reception. Its a lot of radio to play with for $170.
prcguy
n2mdk said:
I'm not really sure the the VX-3R is the best way to go for your first Ham HT it's a nice little radio but I think something like the FT-60 might be a better way to go. It has a keypad so direct entry of frequencies is easier it also has more output power 5W compared to the 1.5/1W of the VX-3R
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/0060.html
The picture is a bit deceiving because that person must have quite a large hand, but the radio isn't all that big.

Status
Not open for further replies.