Yaesu: Yaesu VX-6 battery indicator

Status
Not open for further replies.

KI7UYT

Pulled my virtually new Yaesu VX-6 out of my "bug out" bag to use it for the first time and I am having an issue. First, the battery was completely dead and from what I've heard that is a no no for Lithium Ion batteries. I put it on the charger and it appears to be charging but it has been charging for over 4 hours and not showing fully charged. When I turn the radio on (not while plugged into charger) I get the initial screen showing voltage but I do not get the "battery status" icon in the screen. I have read the manual and Googled it, but cannot find out of this is a "setting" or an indication of something wrong. Any help?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Any battery, once completely discharged (did you measure the battery's output with a voltmeter?) is usually toast. There are tricks and incantations that may temporarily bring it back to life, but I wouldn't depend on it.

KI7UYT

The battery finally read fully charged so hoping I didn't harm it. But still no battery charge status indication on the screen. I know I'm not imagining it, and it shows it in the manual.

mm

If you never assigned a keypad key-function/button press to the battery voltage indicator then your radios battery voltage will not be displayed.

You need to apply a radio KEY button press to the battery voltage indicator using either the radio setup menu or via software.

As an example I have mine set to enable the battery voltage when the WIRES-X keypad button is pressed since I never use wires-x.

If you go in to the radios SET MODE scroll thru menu items until you reach item/feature 16 and when this is enabled it will turn the BATTERY VOLTAGE indication on the lcd but it's best to apply this feature to a quick one button key press and for me wires-x was the best keypress to use

Last edited:

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
The battery finally read fully charged so hoping I didn't harm it. But still no battery charge status indication on the screen. I know I'm not imagining it, and it shows it in the manual.
On the VX-6, the battery indicator on the LCD only appears when the battery is low. Program a key for the Battery Voltage function as described above to view the state (voltage) of the battery at any time.

KI7UYT

O.K. thanks, that clears things up as I thought I remembered the indicator showing battery status all the time. Do we know how long or what percent of battery life is left when the indicator starts showing?

KI7UYT

If I'm reading it correctly, the manual says to not charge the battery until the indicator shows low. You're saying that when the indicator comes on you're real low, so low you may not be able to transmit. That just doesn't make sense to me, not knowing your battery level to avoid running that low. Is that really how it is? If so, is it that way on most radios? By the way, thanks for your patience with me!

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
If I'm reading it correctly, the manual says to not charge the battery until the indicator shows low. You're saying that when the indicator comes on you're real low, so low you may not be able to transmit. That just doesn't make sense to me, not knowing your battery level to avoid running that low. Is that really how it is? If so, is it that way on most radios? By the way, thanks for your patience with me!
I think Yaesu might be overly cautious when it comes to recommending a mostly discharged state (when the indicator comes on) before charging. Lithium Ion batteries are not as sensitive to charging when only partially discharged as some of the older battery types.
I use my VX-6 for listening mostly so when the indicator comes on, I still have a lot of run time left before I have to charge the battery. If I want to use it for transmitting, I make sure the battery voltage is above 7.0 volts or fully charge it. I have a fast charge cradle (P/N CD-15A) so it only takes a couple hours to charge.

KI7UYT

Well I got the battery fully charged and moved on to programming the unit. thanks for all the help and suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.