Yaesu: Yaesu VX-6 - Noob and Squelch Question(s)

MaxxJay

I ordered a used Yaesu VX-6 off eBay in preparation for getting my Technician license. It just arrived and I have starting watching a YouTube series on the radio created by KS6DAY. Very interesting for a new radio operator. I am on #4 in the series and performed the factory reset. When I attempt to use the quick squelch adjustment (tap F and then quickly tap Moni) I see a red led and hear a beep. The squelch adjustment does not appear. I can adjust it thru SET 59. What am I doing wrong?

What is the best way to hook this radio to my computer for programming and backups? Do I need to replace the stock antenna or is it pretty good?

Thanks!

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Many hams turn to RT systems for programming software. The formats for many brands are consistent, and their cables rarely have problems connecting to the computer. Chirp is another programming choice, but getting the com port right may be more of a problem.

MaxxJay

So, continuing on with that series, I am trying to program in the national simplex frequenc. I input 146.520, but what shows is 146.525. I have ARS (SET 4) set to off.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
In the settings you should be able to choose the spacing of the frequencies. You are likely to find very little traffic on 146.52, depending on your area. Because it is a simplex frequency and no repeater is used, it has a limited range, especially on a handheld. Your best bet is to program local repeaters, find a club, and hopefully find some experienced hams to help you. 73s

MaxxJay

In the settings you should be able to choose the spacing of the frequencies. You are likely to find very little traffic on 146.52, depending on your area. Because it is a simplex frequency and no repeater is used, it has a limited range, especially on a handheld. Your best bet is to program local repeaters, find a club, and hopefully find some experienced hams to help you. 73s
I imagine so. It is part of the YouTube series I’m watching so... Trying to gain a little knowledge before joining a group. I’ve searched the SET menu for the frequency spacing, I must be missing it.

MaxxJay

So, continuing on with that series, I am trying to program in the national simplex frequenc. I input 146.520, but what shows is 146.525. I have ARS (SET 4) set to off.
So, I got this sorted. Factory default sets STEP to AUTO. Even in BAND [6] I could not set 146.520. I had to go to SET 61 and change the STEP from AUTO to 5.0k.

Still no luck in getting the squelch shortcut to work. Happens in Memory or VFO modes.

MaxxJay

I ordered a used Yaesu VX-6 off eBay in preparation for getting my Technician license. It just arrived and I have starting watching a YouTube series on the radio created by KS6DAY. Very interesting for a new radio operator. I am on #4 in the series and performed the factory reset. When I attempt to use the quick squelch adjustment (tap F and then quickly tap Moni) I see a red led and hear a beep. The squelch adjustment does not appear. I can adjust it thru SET 59. What am I doing wrong?

What is the best way to hook this radio to my computer for programming and backups? Do I need to replace the stock antenna or is it pretty good?

Thanks!
The challenge I was experiencing with the SQL shortcut has been resolved thanks to a YouTube short. Changing SET menu 36 to Moni corrected the issue I was experiencing. Hope this post helps someone else.

nd5y

Do I need to replace the stock antenna or is it pretty good?
I had a VX-6R a while back. The stock antenna is good. I got higher field strength readings from it on both 2 m and 70 cm than similar sized aftermarket antennas.
If you are only using it as a normal hand held in the amamteur bands there is no reason to replace it.

k6cpo

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
As jaspence says, RT Systems is the gold standard for amateur radio software.

When I bought the FTM-400XDR, I found Yaesu's software to be practically unusable. Buying RT System's software made programming fast and easy. Whoever runs their development department understands how to make software coherent and usable to the average person.