Yaesu: Yaesu VX-6 & VX-7 Receive Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbashaw

I have two Yeasu H/T's (VX-6 & VX-7). I just replaced battery in both. Now, without doing any programming tweaking, neither will receive on duplex, but will transmit & hit the repeater(s). In simplex, both transmit & receive perfectly. I have done a factory reset on both, and reprogrammed using "CHIRP". No change. Hits repeater, but I cannot receive. Offesets and tones have been verified. They have not been dropped. Any suggestions as to what I might try?

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
That is bizarre. I have never had a radio go wonky when swapping a battery but things happen. It is extremely odd that both of your radios developed this issue at the same time. Hmm...did you have tones enabled for TX/RX when testing simplex as well? I'm thinking you're overlooking the tone squelch setting, or something. It happens to us all. Still, for both radios to do this at the same time is weird.

I would perform a reset again and program one repeater by hand. Years ago I found that Chirp did not work so well. While things may have improved with Chirp, program one repeater by hand.

*Also, it appears you are trying different repeaters which is good. It could just be coincidence that a particular repeater developed issues on sending the tone and you (your radios) are not the problem.

lbashaw

Thanks...I will do the full reset & then program manually. Perhaps relevant (not sure), but both radios had been stored for about 2 years (inside environment with the batteries removed. The old batteries, when tried, would not hold a charge which is why new batteries were used. I have tried different settings (No tone, Tone, ToneSq). When listening to amateur channels on a scanner, I can call several different area repeaters & hear the transmission on my scanner. So, that tells me that the "receive" channel and offsets are correct. Maybe they're haunted or something. Just odd that both radios have the same issues. I will also try a different software to see if that helps any.

Chronic

Download VX commander . its free and works great . There are versions for the 6 & 7

lbashaw

Update...I just completed full reset of both, and manually entered two local repeaters...still same negative result. My next attempt will be to do another full reset & (as suggested), use VX Commander to program both. This is quite perplexing! Has to be a setting I'm overlooking!

cpfinlay

Feed Provider
I seem to recall that some repeaters do not pass along the tones, so remove those from RX.

If it persists, post your settings. I am sure it is just a setting.

Last edited:

hill

Premium Subscriber
I am thinking you have both radios set for tone squelch or what ever it's called on these radios. Many ham repeaters require a tone to access tbem, but don't transmit a tone. You just need the tone to encode and not decode.

Going forward do you see any indication the radios are receiving like a signal meter or a receive LED.

N2IXX

I have a VX-6 and the only things I see that could be wrong are the offset +/- or freq. offset 600hz for 2 meter or 5 Mhz for 70cm or you have it set for receive tone squelch. Just my $0.02

lbashaw

still at a loss, but determined to solve this mystery...I have a question: Using "VX-7 Commander", should the "mode" setting be NFM or WFM? It defaults to NFM. (For both VHF & UHF). Simplex mode is working perfectly.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
NFM would be the correct. WFM is usually for broadcast FM if the radio has that ability.

cpfinlay

Feed Provider
still at a loss, but determined to solve this mystery...I have a question: Using "VX-7 Commander", should the "mode" setting be NFM or WFM? It defaults to NFM. (For both VHF & UHF). Simplex mode is working perfectly.

Several people have mentioned tone squelch. Have you turned that off? Since the repeaters often do not transmit the tone, that would explain why it works on simplex but not the repeater even thought you can monitor that you hit the repeater.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
I believe the offset should be 600kHz, not 600hz. Also most ham repeaters are FM, (+/- 5kHz) not NFM (+/- 2.5kHz). You might want to check what bandwidth the repeater is using and if it "transmitter" a tone.
Bill

lbashaw

Update: I have contacted serveral area repeater clubs and confirmed tones. Just a note, my mobile TMV-71A has the same frequencies programmed & works perfectly. On the H/T's, I have tried tone off, tone, tone-squelch; WFM and NFM. I have done full resets on both (several times). Still same issue whereby H/T hits and opens repeater, but does not receive. However, works perfectly on simplex. Should I send them to Yeasu, or is it just not going to be cost-effective to do that?

FKimble

I don't buy 2 different radios developing the same problem at the same time. My money is on a setting that is not correct. Time to take a step back and double check every setting. Suggest picking one repeater and hand enter the required freq etc. Monitor that repeater with the HT and your scanner or another radio besides these two. Make sure you are hearing that repeater when others are using it. Then double check all your settings. There are some general type settings like offset amount and offset direction that may have defaulted when you did your sets. Keep up posted and good luck.

Frank

lbashaw

Update...last straw, I think. I have done full resets on both VX6 & VX7, and set for weather channels with no other programming done. Even within 3 miles of transmitter 162.550, I have no reception on either radio. I set radios to scan weather channels & still nothing. So, my conclusion is that neither radio is receiving. BTW, I did change out antennas on both to Diamond RH77c. SO now the decision, do I just send them to Yeasu service, or just cut my losses & upgrade.

k6cpo

Try putting the stock antennas back on and see what happens.

Where did you buy the Diamond RH77c antennas?

Last edited:

lbashaw

I have used the stock antennas...not working; put on the new antennas (from Amazon), still not working; simplex works for maybe 100 feet, then nothing. They can hear me loud, but I cannot hear them when they try to talk back. I did try one of the new antennas on a Wouxum & works perfectly.

ALthough both radios had been stored inside climate contolled room for about two years, they did work when I stored them. Now, nothing but paper weights! I find it quite odd that both radios have the same issue.

Not sure if it is cost-effective to have them checked out and/or repaired.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.