Yaesu: Yaesu VX-6R scanning and receiving issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

slidetbone

Not sure if anyone here has experienced this with this radio. It is not a true scanner but it does a decent job with scanning what I need while I am mobile. The issue is receiving a distorted signal. When I program or search certain frequencies above 400Mhz, reception is very distorted. These are not encrypted or trunked frequencies, just analog FM with CTCSS tone.

I own a Uniden BCD436HP a Uniden BCD396XT, a Pro-93, Pro-2005 and Pro-46 scanners. Those frequencies come in crystal clear on those radios. But in the Yaesu, it is distorted. It seems to happen to frequencies above 400Mhz only. It also happens when I scan search on 70cm. I lock on an active frequency and it is distorted.

This is one of the frequencies I loaded:
Frequency Type Tone Mode
452.70000 RM 123.0 PL FMN

Any insights why this radio does that or settings I may have missed? Thanks!

Chronic

I found pulling the battery out and putting it back in works for awhile , then you have to repeat the procedure again.

lebrunmn

Retired... Get off my lawn!
Premium Subscriber
slidetbone-

One thing you should also check is the step size setting... When you scan a frequency range, you might get very close to an active freq but not actually have the signal centered in--it depends on the step size. Being within a few kHz of the actual freq will often give you that fuzzy-sounding audio you describe.

Just trying to eliminate some of the possible issues.

Good luck.

slidetbone

I think I found the issue, yet makes no sense on this being a Yaesu radio. The frequency listed as 452.650 Mhz when programmed into the radio will sound distorted, yet when I go up 12 khz to 452.6375, it is right on it. Same when I load 452.7000 Mhz, which is the listed frequency. I can move up to 452.7125 Mhz and is right on it. Why is that? Will have to reprogram it. It is not a deal killer since I can use a scanner for this, but when I am mobile with the VX-6, I would like to load up a few frequencies of interest if that is the only unit I am carrying.

Status
Not open for further replies.