Yaesu vx-7r

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim9251

Since I passed my Tech license this weekend, I was itchin to buy me a HAM radio. After a lot of research, I picked up a used Yaesu vx-7r with chargers, case, mic for $200.00.

Now to find a mobile rig.

mparker

how do you like it? i was thinking about getting an HT for my first too...

jim9251

I like it. Wading through the 140 page manual was a bit much, but used vx7 Commander software to program it. I'm hitting a 2 meter repeater 60 miles away with the rubber ducky antenna standing on my patio. This HT has some heft, built well. I haven't tried working satellites yet but building an arrow antenna do try that.

mparker

awesome... good to hear...

ive been told it would be a bad choice because its low powered and hard to program...

but i live in a big city and there are plenty of close repeats and i can operate my bct15 scanner, i cant imagine anything being any more complicated to operate...

i travel a lot and id like to be able to take my rig with me, and dont want to mess with power supplies and stuff...

i think i am going to start with a HT then study up and get my Gen then look for a ft817 and do some QRPing..

sat work, DX and moon bounce and DIY antennas, intrigue me the most about the hobby... i cant wait to get more experience

it will do muti freq right, like input on 2m out on 440?

jim9251

Yes it will do the split repeater thing. Here's some reviews - Yaesu VX-7R Product Reviews

I got this for my wandering around, hiking, etc. Just ordered a 7900r for my Jeep. When I pass my General exam in February I'll get something for the house.

I like using QRP also, working sats, psk31, echolink...all with a small portable? This is very cool to me, and a challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.