Yaesu vx7 poor mic volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

08GMC4X4

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.304 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I have been told by many stations that my mic volume is extremly low. I know some of the vx7's were manufacured with a protective cover over the mic to maintain water tight integrety. My question is: 1) is there a setting I am missing on the radio itself? 2) should I remove the protective covering like many other owners have? I do not want to use a external mic and I am not too worried about water entering the radio.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Try burping the radio. Open the DC port on the side to equalize any pressure difference inside and outside the radio. As the radio warms during operation or holding in you hand the pressure increases. This increases the tension of the film over the mic reduces the pressure your voice has on the mic. I wouldn't remove the film and compromise the water resistance the radio has.

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.304 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I have been told by many stations that my mic volume is extremly low. I know some of the vx7's were manufacured with a protective cover over the mic to maintain water tight integrety. My question is: 1) is there a setting I am missing on the radio itself? 2) should I remove the protective covering like many other owners have? I do not want to use a external mic and I am not too worried about water entering the radio.

mancow

Database Admin
I bought one from some tool that thought it would be a good idea to destroy the waterproof membrane over the mic. What makes that even more ignorant is the fact the thing didn't sound any different than my other non damaged one at all. I wouldn't suggest doing that. All you will end up doing is ruining some of the value.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I'm unsure if this is the case with the VX7, but I had the VX5, and I had the same issue. The problem was the deviation on the transmit audio was way too low - it was set to a Japanese standard, I believe. Fortunately I had a buddy with the equipment to get this fixed - more of a pain to open the radio up to get this adjusted than the actual adjustment itself 73 Mike

08GMC4X4

Do u know how I can go about fixing this?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Assuming that this is the issue (and let me stress again, it may not be)....

Have someone measure your deviation with a good deviation meter or analyzer. Make sure you are using a fully charged battery, and NOT using an external mike. IF it is too low, you need to know how to correctly disassemble the radio without damaging any of the no-doubt fragile connectors inside. You should go to the VX7 Yahoo group and see if someone has described, in detail, how to correctly disassemble the radio, and how to identify where the pot is that would need the adjustment. In my case, there was a website at the time (I think) that laid all this out for the VX5, and a lot of details were discussed on the VX5R yahoo group.

If the deviation tests OK with NOT using the mike, but it's too low with it, then logic suggests something is wrong with the external mike. 73 Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yes, I had forgotten about that. I sold my VX5R some time ago, and did neglect to mention that. Thanks Essex

73 Mike

My buddy has a Vx-7 and the audio is good look in the settings for Mic gain turn it all the way up
turn off half deviation like the other guy said too.Reset the radio if that doesnt work.
If you need instructions they are on yaesu's website,im sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.