Yaesu: Yaesu YSK cable Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

1-up

Was wondering if the body to the head extension cables available as separate purchase for Ease amateur radios are model specific or may the same extension cable kit be used on all mobile models?

Purchased a discontinued used Yaesu FT-7800R, was wondering if I require a specific to the model YSK cable kit for same?

nd5y

I have two FT-7800Rs. The separation cable is not special.
It uses standard 6 conductor modular telephone plugs. You can probably buy cable, plugs and a crimp tool at Lowe's or Home Depot for way less money than a Yaesu cable.

K7MH

Premium Subscriber
It uses standard 6 conductor modular telephone plugs. You can probably buy cable, plugs and a crimp tool at Lowe's or Home Depot for way less money than a Yaesu cable.

Yes but you better be sure you have it wired correctly. Last I saw the entire remote kit for the 7800 was $29 at HRO.
On Ebay from China about $15. Hard to beat that although wait times may be a couple weeks or so.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It's an RJ25 connector. 6 position, 6 pins. You can roll your own pretty easily if you've got the right tools.
The connectors are flipped, if I recall correctly. Basically just look at the one that connects the radio head to the RF deck and copy that.
Other option is to use the one that comes with the radio and just add an extension using a female to female coupler.

As for the bracket to hold the control head, pretty easy to make your own out of some angle aluminum stock.

When I bought my FT-7800, shortly after they first came out, Yaesu was pretty dang proud of those remote head kits and wanted something close to $80 each for them. Since I had the tools to make my own cables, I made my own. I fabricated my own bracket out of scrap angle stock I had. Used that for years until I sold the radio.

But, yeah, they are not so expensive now, so weight the options.

mrweather

The YSK extension kit also includes the audio extension cable if I remember correctly. Not as easy to roll-your-own as the head extension cable but certainly not worth the $80 Yaesu was charging for it originally.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Yaesu is including them with some radios. One came with my FT-8900R and I put it to good use.

k6cpo

Or at Fry's Electronics (as I did.)

Status
Not open for further replies.